Thursday 29 December 2005

Film, book, obsession.

Went to see 'Brokeback Mountain' last night and it surpassed all my expectations. Slow burn into the story, but incredible scenery so you are taken up with that. It is an intense love story and unbelievably well played by both Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, but I have to say that Heath Ledger's performance was supreme for me, this was a part that really allowed him to show the depth of his ability. A phenomenal film.
The film also made me finally realise what the French 'Transhumence' is. They have a word for taking the sheep up the mountain, and I never understood why this was an activity worthy of such a word. I hadn't thought however, that the sheep are taken up for the whole summer and have to be watched over carefully all that time.

I'm reading a book about twins one of whom is becoming schizophrenic. This is another eye opener for me. The book is interesting for a number of reasons, for example the relationship between the sisters, the behaviour of the parents, the time that they are living through - they are several years older than me, so things I remember vaguely they portray in more detail - and the way that we are shown the mental illness developing. There seems to be no 'cause' although there have been earlier signs, and then some of the small things that become parts of the full-blown illness are the stuff of everyday experience, ok, well mine then.

The obsession is mine, all mine, muahahahaha... On the local news last night, they talked of a scheme to build a field of energy windmills in BC. These have always fascinated me. Of course I am quite obsessed to start off with over green energy, but it is something physical about the windmills. They are so majestic, hypnotic. I have photographed them from the bus as we have travelled across Europe, I can stare at the for hours, and when I have, landscape without them seems too bare. Sometimes you get just one on its own. Last year in the Schwarzwald, going up the mountain at Schauinsland I could see one standing alone.
I can feel a pilgrimage coming on when they are built.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fantastic movie, ledger must get prizes.