Thursday 20 December 2007

About

We were supposed to go up to London today - in English lessons in primary school you learn that wherever you are in the country you always go 'up' to London - anyway, we were bumped and are now going tomorrow. We will be seeing Alex's flat and generally doing Londony things, which in reality means spending too much money.

Today we went to Gunwharf Quays. This is a mall of outlet stores on the waterfront and thus is rather up-market for such a thing. I did however manage to find the bag(s) I have been looking for. I'll be going there again on Saturday with the express purpose of drinking hot chocolate with my friend Karen.

Today was also about eating bacon and egg, Kevin joked that he has to come to Britain to eat real Canadian bacon, back bacon, beautiful.
It was about buying my long calendar, ideally I like Arctic animals every year, but WHSmith have so far let me down and I have a scenic one.
It was about marvelling at the lines of small cars parked nose to nose along the streets. Kevin can't cope with the fact that cars can be parked in either direction here. It worries him.
It was about listening to Christmas Carols and later on we'll go to church to sing them.
It was about realising that my haircut actually works when washed in hard water so that it fluffs up.
It was about feeling guilty because I haven't done cards this year, but here, they flood in. Every post brings more. And there are more posts.
It was about enjoying the British politenesses that you take for granted when you live here.

And at three something this morning, when I was wide awake again, about loving the series 'Gavin and Stacey'. So incredibly British, so well-observed, so tightly written.
And then later suddenly laughing at remembered scenes, conversations, looks even, from giants Alison Steadman and an amazing cast.
Brilliant, British comedy at its absolute best.

4 comments:

Sleepy said...

It's also just cold enough to be Christmassy.
Fire lit again!

Schneewittchen said...

True! The cold is brilliant!

nigel said...

Yeah we have been having nightly log fires up here in the Hindhead Hills since end of October - always a couple of degrees colder here than down in Pompey (or up London!).
You can enjoy the English politeness but they ain't so polite behind the wheel of a car eh?
As one of the few people around here who actually cross the Hindhead crossroads on foot rather than drive I am bemused at local meetings to discuss the future of Hindhead post-tunnel where the opinionated around me have formulated all their views purely by looking at the area though a car windscreen. The rich car owners have views the poor non-car owners just walk...and dodge...

Schneewittchen said...

I noticed that today Nigel as I went up to London on the train.