Wednesday 6 July 2011

Signs

Signs I saw today - on the Doctor's surgery (I kid you not) 'walk in's welcome'. On the florist's next to the doc's 'flowers for bar and hat mitzvahs'. Yup. And in the corridor that leads to the loos in the shopping mall where the offices of the career planning people are, 'service penetration prohibited'. Phew.

Today we did personality stuff. Interesting. In some ways, it's the stuff that goes on in between the stuff we do that is the most revealing. An example. Yesterday we did an activity to find out our values. Most people put appearance and popularity last. One man said that we don't value appearance because none of us has to really worry about it.
At lunchtime, I managed to spill balsamic vinegar salad dressing on my light-coloured top, couldn't remove it with a wet wipe, and then was pre-occupied with it all afternoon.
I learnt that lesson alright.

People-watching is fascinating. Some people you can see are just ordinary people that have fallen off the bus through no fault of their own, and simply can't get back on. Some, you realise, would never catch it in the first place. And some genuinely have gone as far as they can go on that particular bus and need to work out which one to catch next.

And now it's hot, quite, quite hot.

2 comments:

Gail said...

Your posts on your career exploration class remind me of when I took the transitions course. We established ground rules the first day. One person suggested we have an "open paradigm." The instructor just look puzzled and asked her what she meant - she just repeated "we should have an open paradigm."

Schneewittchen said...

I think I'd have done the same honestly. On the other hand, I wouldn't have suggested something as staggeringly stupid as an open paradigm in the first place, not in a million years.