Saturday 3 March 2007

Mercury

The picture's a couple of days old, the rain has pattered down on our part of BC and washed away any snow that survived the sunshine.

I'm convinced that Mercury is playing up. I don't mean that I think the planet's wobbling, nor that more of the element is finding its way into our tuna, no, I mean in the astrological sense. Oi! Stop that! It's not funny. Communication is important to me and it's all going Pete Tong.
My internet connection has been beyond flaky, the imps in the machine are on go-slow. I can't post on Sleepy's blog because the little letters you have to put in for word verification don't show up, things I'm waiting for in the post and by e-mail are holding out on me, oh yes, I'm pretty sure that Mercury ain't rising.

I read my horoscope every day, partly because it just shimmies into my Inbox unbidden, though I always have the option to unbid it. I make it fit what I want it to fit in my head and then I feel ok for the next day. It's comforting, because mostly the astrologers who write them make it positive in some way.

I do get e-mails from a couple of astrologers. They tell me that humungous events and changes are about to occur in my life and they will help me figure things out if I pay them $29 per month. I don't know how I picked up these atro-stalkers, but there they are. They go the way of all spam.

But the thing is, I do believe, illogically, that our lives are linked to the solar system. It's a bit like that butterfly effect. Or is it simply self-fulfilling? I order my mindset according to the daily blurb and so it comes to be. No matter. What I don't find illogical or hard to believe is that the world is differentiated only twelve times over. Actually I find that quite a large number. If there are only seven stories in the world, then the idea of there being twelve different ways things can turn out in any given day seems fairly broad. Even the Chinese system is a 12-year cycle.

But Mercury dogs my steps. It's always going backwards. And at this point, although I have been mostly writing tongue-in-cheek, I actually googled 'Mercury, astrology' and my first hit was this site. It turns out I am going to have to push against the tide until the 28th of this month.
Well fancy that, I'm genuinely stunned, although speech it seems is another area of communication that Mercury rules. I can't help wondering why my daily horoscope hasn't mentioned this though. Hmmmmm......

No comments: