Friday 24 March 2006

Film, politics, milestone

We saw a wonderful Brit film on DVD the other night, made in 2002, but on our DVD rental shop's 'New this week' shelf - this week.
It was what you expect from the best of British, or put it this way, it was an Auntie Brenda film - Brenda Blethyn, not my auntie but you know, two degrees of separation. Here it was called 'Undertaking Betty' but the UK name was 'Plots with a View'. Superb film, Auntie Brenda and the splendid Alfred Molina, not to mention Christopher Walken, and surprisingly, Lee Evans who was not horrible (though I appreciate that only Brit friends will understand that) and who sported the most disgusting pair of false teeth, wove a gentle, amusing and clever story that kept us transfixed and in which all the twists and turns resolved to our satisfaction. Perfick.

Still on the subject of films, an actor whom I have long admired, Anthony Sher, gave a wonderfully written, interesting exegesis of gay cinema. Why do I love Sher so much? He spellbound me with his portrayal of Richard the third at the National Theatre, thinking about it, must have been over 20 years ago now. Why was the article so wonderful? Because it was well written, because he had the exact same take on 'Brokeback Mountain' and 'Capote' as me and because he developed his account in an absorbing way and lastly, because he mentioned Derek Jarman on whom I was fixated because he allowed us to travel with him as he moved towards his own death, I found that selfless and I felt bereft when he died.

I was so pleased to hear that the two Canadian and one British hostage in Iraq were free. And I was desperately sad that the rescue came too late for the American hostage, Tom Fox. As soon as I heard the words 'rescue mission' I knew absolutely in my bones that this was a British operation, so I was very surprised when I watched the TV news and saw a US military spokesperson talking about how they had orchestrated it. Eventually mention was made of Canadian special forces being involved. Then I went to the Guardian and, well, whaddya know, it was indeed led by the SAS. I don't know how I knew this, a gut feeling probably based on the years and years of everyone I ever knew who went into the armed forces having to do a tour in Northern Ireland and that was a tough 'peacekeeping' tour. Of the finest armed forces in the world, the SAS are the elite, and we expect miracles from them, and sometimes, as yesterday, we get them.

Another great piece of news yesterday was that ETA had declared a permanent cessation of hostilities. The terrorism that has just been part of the background of our lives. No, not that I have ever lived in Spain, but many British people can empathise with the tension of living in a country haunted by terrorists. The fear that grips you every time you see any kind of bag unattended. The underlying uncertainty of being in a public place. One of the Guildford pubs that was bombed in the 70s was a pub that we used to drink in. That fear goes away and then as soon as something like the atrocities of 11/09/01 happen, it all comes flooding back. Post, parcels, paperbins, cars, trains, all were used for planting bombs.

We had a morning of spring again yesterday, mild, the big theatrical thermometer that is one of the props for the 'Signs of Spring' educational programme, registering 11. The sun was at its most beautiful, watery, platinum. The chickadees were playing the mating game as loudly as they know how. How amazing that I am on this other continent with different plants and animals. I learned about First Nations and their historical use of plants in the morning and in the afternoon, Nature Detectives. I loved every minute. Today we are going to the Vancouver museum and I'm looking forward to that too.

A friend of a very good friend turns 60 today and although she has never met me, I wish her a very, very happy birthday. My friend and I discussed this a bit because her friend was feeling a bit down about it. One of those milestones when we take stock. I remember clearly the 30 milestone because I felt as though I had come of age. In my own head I was now someone to be taken seriously. Honestly, that's the only one of my own so far that I can remember, but I do remember my mother turning 60. She too was depressed about it. For her it coincided with the development of diabetes and a return visit from the lymphoma that she had kicked in her 40's. I think too that there was an element for her of moving into old age. And yet to me, even before she died in her mid 70's, she was not an old woman, she was a sick one, but had she not been, she would have still been moving through middle age.
Another friend whose 60th birthday I remember was Glenda's. She is a most amazing person. She was, as I had come to expect from her, quite determined to celebrate that she had reached this milestone. She and a group of friends went on the London Eye and drank Champagne. Glenda embraced this life experience as she embraced everything. In a bizarre twist of fate, she has a partner now who is from Vancouver Island and they come here in the summer and have a boat here. When I came over last July, I was on the same flight as Glenda which I discovered at Gatwick when we both turned up to check in. Small, small world.

Will and Grace is now in something like its 157th series but the writing and acting is still so sharp. I had a half an hour long belly laugh last night. Great stuff, classic stuff, we'll miss it when it's gone.

No comments: