Friday 19 May 2006

Internet blues


After the complete power cut of earlier in the week, you could be forgiven for thinking that we'd had our share. But yesterday, we had no internet from around midday until around 4.30 in the morning.

The weather is muggy today, actually just the kind of weather I like, the promise of thunderstorms in the air. I will of course not be so enthusiastic if the thunderstorms keep us on the tarmac. Flying out of Toronto one time, we were all sitting on the plane but grounded for three hours whilst thunderstorms moved in, rolled over and moved out. This was no fun at all and resulted in my missing the last bus back from Heathrow, also not fun.

Kevin's bags are packed, mine are not. Since we're flying the Atlantic together for the first time ever, I'm hoping not to have a repeat of January's fiasco. We have an overnight flight, which I like since I can usually sleep on the 'plane, Kevin not so much since he can't so easily.

Feels like the end of term, in a way it is as I go in to do my last school programme at the Park this afternoon.

So, trains and boats and 'planes will carry me back to Blighty, well except for the boats, but maybe we'll take our hovercraft trip this time. I'm looking forward with more eagerness than you can possibly imagine, to seeing my kids, kid-in-law and grandkids, to seeing friends, to going to Scotland, attending Edward's Christening, seeing the sea, going to Sainsburys and Marks and Sparks, to getting series three of 'Little Britain' and to a million other things, but I still don't want to leave here.

It's a funny old world, and I'm going to cross five thousand miles of it tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and don't forget the crisps! Good lordy lord the crisps. Why didn't I bring any back?

Do you have a neck pillow? If not, feel free to come over and borrow mine. Two puffs of air and all the comforts you've ever wanted are yours.

I don't envy you the flight - I've had enough for one year. Off I go to have a nap, against the advice of my co-worker who said, "whatever you do, don't have a nap."
Say hey to the queen, I think I gave her quite a fright when I snuck into her bedroom.