Tuesday 11 July 2006

Local Day

What Tony Blair fails to realise ('comments', 'Full House')is that as soon as I open my mouth people speak to ME about footie. Only yesterday, during our 'local day for local people' - for those not of the avid or even rabid Brit-comedy watching persuasion, a misquote from 'League of Gentlemen', - at our first port of call, the recycling depot, a young man gabbled something at me. It was a bit like trying to make any sense out of what Boomhauer from 'King of the Hill' says. All I could make out was 'the game,', 'the dive,', 'the cheating,' 'Wade Rodney,' and '?'
Alex claimed that she could understand it all, however being a game sort myself I simply constructed a conversation out of what I had caught and my answer seemed to satisfy. Or maybe he couldn't understand what I said either. I got ten bucks for my bottles anyway.

After a whirlwind tour of some interesting local premises, I'm saving the interesting local premisses for when we have a philosophical day for philosophical people, I gave the girls a guided tour of the Nature Park.Although Alex considers my Nature Park fixation to be a lame and pathetic slide into senility, they all marvelled at my tales of leaf miners, the boss moss and hummingbird tongue fungus, they were awed by the tree that smells like grapefruit and the leaves that smell like peanut butter. They did a bog jump and made the trees shake. And as I had hoped, the turtles were sunbathing in the pond and a red squirrel with devil eyes - see the first photo - came and entertained us.
In the evening Kevin was called upon to drop them at the Silver City cinema to see 'Pirates of the Caribbean II'. Johnny Depp never fails to please. Sadly they had been a little tardy in their preps and missed the 20.30 showing and ended up having to play air hockey until the 22.00 programme. I had to collect them at getting on for one o'clock.



I myself had been on a scenic mystery tour earlier in the evening. Oh alright, Yvonne and I had managed to get ourselves a little bit lost both going to and coming back from Writers' Group, but I took this picture as the sun was setting over ..... somewhere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that appears to be English Bay. I could be wrong.
Remember: the mountains are north. That doesn't work in Paris, I discovered. Only Vancouver.
is vegetable oil the same as olive oil?
karen