Monday 10 July 2006

Visitors from another world

Here are my weird girls, by popular request (theirs) bless 'em. This first photo, of Hazel, we threatened to have blown up at Kevin's work so that Hazel could post it on her car when she gets back. However, Hazel is going to Oxford in the autumn and intends to keep the environment happy by biking. Although it looks as though she catches small animals and eats them, it's Hazel who's a vegan.



I'm not sure what has caused the bad smell faces, maybe a bad smell....






Then we have the sixties London model girl look.....


I think in the next one, Hazel and Lou are trying to catch a mountie, they heard that mounties roam freely in British Columbia. Well, at least Lou did until one of the others explained what a mountie was.

Finally Alex and Lou scoffing Kevin's very fine brownies - sorry, not the herbal sort girls.



I think today is going to be a local day for local people, we haven't ventured across the bridges into Vancouver yet, but we have a number of things to visit in Richmond and the weather is a little cooler and overcast today.

I'm lucky to be able to do stuff at all today. I was supposed to go back to 'the Office' mornings only this week, and I had moments of dread last week just thinking about it. I have realised that I'm not really communicating very well why this job filled me with so much horror, it certainly wasn't that I felt the work was beneath me, I know I'd have been much happier cleaning than doing the filing and general office work. (And I couldn't help noticing that the cleaner was being paid twice as much per hour as I was, but that wasn't it either.) I don't deal with boredom very well so I have a range of strategies for overcoming it. But when you are at work you can't use those strategies. I did try watching my news programmes from time to time, but I felt it was too obvious because the office was too quiet. So you end up trying to make up jobs and I felt that I'd simply run out of those too.
But on Friday, I was reprieved. I was standing in for someone who had been sorting their office out in a couple of months' 'downtime' from managing her own company, but she was having to return to that. The person in charge of the firm I was working for has now decided to buy out her company and have her run that, plus his office from the premises where they are.

Now of course, I feel guilty at feeling relieved. I'm sure the whole thing is caused by the Protestant Work Ethic, inappropriately named since it's not peculiar to any particular persuasion but does underly our upbringing. I feel as though I will offend karma if I don't feel bad (no doubt too much watching 'My Name is Earl') but what I need to do is convince myself that I did my bit and I have been released to do finer things.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, and the media would have you think that being overrun by rabbits was the worst that could happen to Richmond. Have they been notified of this?!
;)

Anonymous said...

Email me if you need me to send 'Medication'!!

Simmi

Anonymous said...

but then, I'd have to do a whole new batch of brownies!

however, a few of Chris' chilies sprinkled discreetly in the hummus might be interesting.

I'm sure that little comment will soon result in me being barred from the chickpea supply
-k

Schneewittchen said...

Simmi, Simmi (notice how I am BLATANTLY trying to entice you over here) this is BC, we have reputedly the best 'Medication' in the world.

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! Hit 'em with the chillies! I'm convinced some of them cause hallucinations anyway! As well as bleeding eyes and a runny nose!

Simmi