Saturday 7 January 2006

Mind games and myths

I have now slipped into my comfort zone when driving, no longer paralysed at every junction because I have to look in all directions at the same time. And then as soon as that happens, I turn out of our complex yesterday and WHAM I think I've zoned out and am driving on the wrong side. Coming towards me is a cyclist of indeterminate gender, on a tricycle with a metal arm coming out the back attached to a small trailer. No, I mean coming straight towards me and messing with my brain. But it is him/her who is on the wrong side and soon veers off onto the pavement.

On the way back from town I start to feel ill. Instead of thinking I'd eaten something that had disagreed with me, I was already picturing myself checking the details of my medical insurance and wondering whether I would make it back to the UK and the good old NHS. Turned out I had just eaten something that disagreed with me.

I see purple lights, have done for a time. This I know to be a mind game, since I have had my eyes very thoroughly checked out specifically for this, and been to the doctor. Therefore the lights are imaginery, what does it mean?

We have a myth box. It is a great and wonderful piece of TV/computer technology that Kevin has built/is building based on a specific video card. It means we can record things off TV straight to the Hard Drive and watch it when we want, we can programme it to do the thinking, so like, 'Record the L word' and then we don't have to worry about when the new series starts, it will even NOT record ones we've already watched. It will skip adverts at a single bound (and command) and it means you can pause 'live' TV. A couple of nights ago Kevin suddenly realised that SG1 was on ten minutes into the proggie. But mythbox automatically records SG1 whenever it notices it is on. So he just started watching the recording from the beginning, while it was still recording, skipping the ads so that he had caught up about fifteen minutes before the end. And there is so much more still to be found.

Last night it had been pre-set to record Most Haunted and Ghost Whisperer and we noticed the new and controversial show 'The Book of Daniel' was on, so we watched that. Brilliant! I really enjoyed it and I admit that I would never have bothered to watch it had it not been for the people boycotting it and making death threats to the programme's producers. We have a fine tradition in Britain of irreverant shows about priests, 'All Gas and Gaiters', 'Father Ted', 'The Vicar of Dibley'. I also love magic realism, it's one of the things I liked about 'Due South' and 'Northern Exposure'.
The eponymous Daniel has one kid who's gay, one who got caught dealing drugs and who draws manga, one who is adopted and is a complete arsehole, his wife drinks martinis all the time, his father is bonking the bishop (played by Ellen Burstyn, she's terrific in this part) his mother has Alzheimer's, his sister-in-law is bonking the woman who was brought in as part of a threesome by her now deceased husband who has stolen the church's money. And he is 'connected' to the Catholic church via an italian priest played by the actor who used to play Carla in Cheers's ex husband Nick Tortelli and who can get 'anything done' ie HE really is connected. And throughout, Daniel pops painkillers and is visited by his imaginery friend, Jesus.
LOVED it!!!! Kevin thinks it may not make it but I hope it does, it was a lot of fun.

No comments: