Tuesday 1 August 2006

Blueberries

Wow, is it August already? July really goes quickly when you're not locking antlers with hot, cross adolescents all month.

I went to the Nature Park this morning and walked the trails with Lori, the blueberry bushes were in full fruit and very lovely and enticing they looked too. I do love blueberries. Most Canadians do seem to love them too, but perhaps it's something they take for granted. Having become thoroughly addicted to them, I used to go back to the UK and pay through the nose for small punnets of imported ones. Here, I could buy them by the truckload straight off the farm when they're in season if I wanted.

Enough with the soft fruit! How's it going in Iran? I hear you ask. Well, I don't know whether you can spot a theme here, but you remember how, when the Taliban were (officially) in charge in Afghanistan, they used to publicly execute women in a football stadium for deviant behaviour such as learning to read? Well, slap me twice and call me charlie if that dear little man, you know, the one with the PhD in traffic management, didn't decide that it's such good sport, that he recently had a 16-year old girl publicly hanged for equally heinous crimes. Yep, evil lass that she was, she reported that she had been raped! Yes, rape, or, adultery as they call it in Iran. Hmm... presumably she raped herself, er, I mean committed adultery with herself because that's the only way I can explain how this works. She won't be doing that again, that's for sure.

Simmi has cleared up a long-standing mystery for me. A couple of years ago, I sent Kevin a book, a paperback, by Robert Rankin. If you're not familiar with RR, he writes very funny slightly irreverant magic realism types of books. I enjoyed the 'Brentford Triangle' trilogy - of which at last count I think there were five books, because it was set in that particular part of London and was very typical of the people and customs there. So I decided to send Kevin one of the books. It never made it. At the time Kevin told me that books were often stopped and not let through, but surely, surely not Robert Rankin for pity's sake? Well, the book was called 'The Antipope', so who knows?

Oh dear, dear me, you've gotta feel sorry for poor Mel Gibson. Drunk and yet still driving, he was a VICTIM of his own addiction. He is truly repentant for his anti-semitic stream of vitriol when he was arrested, presumably not by normal traffic cops in California but by a team of Hasidic Jews on motorbikes. I pick them because they are obvious to spot, most Jewish people go around completely incognito just to confuse people like Mel.
He said he is, "in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display."
We're with you Mel, because when drunk we all insult some random group of people that we have no particular interest in. Oh hang on, or do we in fact let our guard down and diss the French or the Portugese or someone who have recently beat us at footie? Hmmmm....I'm glad he knows the language of repentance then. I know I've mentioned it once or twice in the blog recently, although I hadn't actually quoted Jay and Silent Bob - not that Silent Bob says much -
'We found the Bible man, it's full of all kinds of weird shit, like did you know that Jesus was a Jew?!'
Mel must be just devasted that he's now not going to be allowed to make that mini-series on the Holocaust, you can't believe how some TV companies can overreact can you?
I hope he finds his 'appropriate path for healing'. I can suggest a few but he might get his knees dirty.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you still call Hassidic cops, Pigs?

Simmi

Schneewittchen said...

Hahahahaha...yer a terrible woman :)))

Anonymous said...

Ooooooh, Schnee. I have a good one for you today.