Thursday 3 August 2006

A little Curry


And off we go to Whistler, future home of the 2010 winter Olympics. Well, we have the skating oval in Richmond, but the skiing stuff will be up there. Our reason for going is a family matter however. Kevin's great uncle will be turning 80 so food will be eaten, drink will be imbibed, and tomorrow we will return. And there will be pictures of mountains and trees. Muahahahaha.

'Dave Navarro looks like Satan, and a bit gay, but then the devil is a bit gay isn't he?' This from Ben. 'Well, ya....ok, Tim Curry's devil in 'Legend' was a bit gay, although technically a demon I think, but are we going to split hairs over imaginary foes here ? I don't think you can necessarily draw any metaphysical conclusions from that.'

And no doubt the Devil was in Barney the very bad dog.
Barney ate Elvis's bear which was on display at Wookey Hole in Somerset. What Barney shows us by his irreverent approach to the King's former property is that humans can be big stupid wankers with far too much money. Let's just hope that somewhere in the entrails of all this, no-one decides to put Barney down. Poor little hound dog. Thanks for that one Simmi.

Step away from the vehicle Stephen Harper, I have solved Canada's silliest problem. The thing which bugs people most when they visit Canada isn't the hordes of roaming beavers, or the dead skunks in the road or even the wandering moose, but the annoyance of not knowing what anything costs. The majority of prices are quoted without tax, so you think something costs, say, $2.99 but it actually costs you 3 something. This pisses people off. It pisses me off, it pisses visitors off and it even pisses Canadians off. Really, it's got to stop.
Ok Stephen, listen very, very carefully. You insist that shops price everything twice, once pre-tax and once with tax included. That should please everyone and is not the slightest problem now that we have those computer thingies. Got that? Make it so.

If anyone tells you that the film 'The Benchwarmers' is just John Heder playing Napoleon Dynamite again, just say,
'And you see a problem with that?' It is a very funny film. Napoleon Dynamite was a seriously brilliant film. Heder may need to develop some range eventually but for now, he still rocks.

Is this not the best news EVER for British people? It turns out that our national food, ie curry, may save us from Alzheimers. Wicked. Not that I ever needed any excuse to eat more, but since it helps.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm currying EVERYTHING!! Even Roast Dinner and Crunchy Nut Cornflakes!

Simmi

Anonymous said...

Such a good one today! Jon Heder's character in The Benchwarmers was nothing like the character Napolean Dynamite: Napolean never smiled.

Tim Curry is creepy sometimes. I'm always waiting for this news story: Tim Curry, Gary Glitter, Jeffrey Jones, and Paul Reubens to Share Cell in Vietnamese Prison.

The US quotes prices without tax too, dear. Speaking of Canada, is there a monetary toll to enter the country (emotional toll is assumed)? We're thinking of a Toronto/Niagara Falls trip.

Anonymous said...

and did you know that Jon Heder is a Mormon? Think back - no swearing, no sex in Napoleon Dynamite.
- Karen

Anonymous said...

I've got a question for you. Does CA have different tax rates like the US has different tax rates? Having worked in the dept store setting, different municipalities would have different tax rates. If the manufacturer marks the price on the merchandise, they have no idea which store/area the merchandise will be delivered to. So the tax can't be put on the item. And now to really mess with your mind, in MN there isn't any tax on clothing/shoes. They must figure it gets cold enough in the winter that clothing is a necessity. The other states I've been to charge sales tax on clothing. Is that because its not a necessity in the other states?

Schneewittchen said...

Anon - yes, different Provinces have different tax rates, however I am assuming that pricing is done locally, because I've noticed before that different branches of the same chain can sometimes have different prices, also when I worked in a branch of a chain, we priced the goods when they came in. I think it is something that should be easily doable with modern technology, but a very good point, so ta. Detail is important to my grand scheme.

Adam - dear?? if'n I didn't know you better I'd think you were trying to patronise me - then you'd be in breach of my patent;)
I'm afraid I really don't have time to sort your country out, I have my hands full with Canada - and they completely ignore my demands, no, you'll have to deal with that whole tax thing for yourself. Good luck with that.
A toll to enter the country...hmm...it's worth considering, but until I speak to Stephen about it no there isn't. Canadians can also enter the States for free, however I can't, I have to stop at the Peace Arch and pay me bucks over.

Karen - He's quite bright really. Oh MORMON you said, sorry, er, I don't believe in Mormons, I mean I've seen their TV show and all but really....the whole idea is just too ridiculous.

Simmi - hahahahahahaha :)))) (But remind me not to still be at yours at breakfast time)