Sunday 18 November 2007

Pillows

Why do we look forward to sleep? Why is it so devastating when it eludes us? It isn't just a physical need, it's a mental one too.

Dreaming, exploring other worlds locked inside our own heads.
And our heads lie on pillows. Soft, hard, medium, feather, down, hollow-fibre, foam.

Do the pillows absorb the dreams?
Do the pillows affect the quality of sleep, the quality of dreams, like the mattress does?
They are personal, pillows, like our dreams. I have a harder one underneath and lie on the softer, turning it over and twisting it until it is just right.

But I knew it was time to buy new ones.
And I knew I couldn't buy the perfect ones at Ikea, not this time.
So we went to Linens'n'Things, old-fashioned store for most things, curtains, bed linen, smelly candles, but a huge range of pillows.

Afterwards, I could have done with a trip to Ikea, a cleansing trip, rid my head of the cloying. But I do now have the perfect pillows on which to sleep and read and think and write and watch TV.

And dream.

5 comments:

Sleepy said...

Pillows are really difficult to 'try on' in the shop.

Karemay said...

As a child I always believed that by turning over my pillow I could change my dreams. If it was a bad dream It was like changing the channel on the television and I could go back to sleep!

Schneewittchen said...

Sleepy - Canadians are really good at 'taking things back' so I bet you could 'try 'em on' here.

Karen - I think that works! Plus, I'm always turning my pillow over to find the cooler side.

Sleepy said...

We had a toaster for 2 weeks.
It was taken back because it didn't 'toast' to the corners.
Riots almost occurred in Knight and Lee when it was suggested the toast was turned round and re-toasted.
Refund refused.
Manager called, refund given instantly.
John Lewis policy.
The reason the Toaster was purchased there in the first place.
We have a Sooper Dooper Krupps affair now.
I can't work it, probably due to their Nazi Arms producing history!

Schneewittchen said...

Nicely done. I am working my apprenticeship here, soon, I too will be able to return items to shops in England, shops such as Knight and Lee.....but I may start with something easier - say M&S.