Thursday 4 December 2008

Rum Ration

It's ironic. I'm dead jealous of the snow in the north of Britain today and yet...even were I there, it would take me hours to get to the nearest snowfall, whereas here, I could be standing in snow in about forty minutes. But I want it outside my front door, waaaahhh!!!

I was wondering about the naval rum ration today, since it became clear that a whole bottle of the stuff had mysteriously vanished. Well, not so mysteriously really, more a case of co-dependency, the eggnog has disappeared at the same time.
Anyhoo, got me wonderin'. The naval rum ration, which only stopped in 1970, was an eighth of a pint, ergo 2½ fluid ounces, so, turns out we've been consuming a supersized rum ration. The traditional naval ration was 50% proof though, so on that score, we're quite restrained.
Think we'll lay off it for a while even so.

I'm not sure if it's the time of year or my age, but dinner seems to be preoccupying me. Last night, I went out with people from work and had a really good turkey dinner. Tonight, we had Korma. Both yummers. It used to be all about the brekker, now - it's the dins. I wonder if there'll come a point when I start having dinner at lunchtime.

No comments: