Monday 29 December 2008

Zohan

Shalom.
Funny old weather we're having. Rain was beating down when we woke up this morning, it had stopped by the time I took off for work, but it took me an hour to get there. I was yomping through snow piles that were over my knees, and THAT is heavy going. Kevin came and picked me up at lunchtime, and discovered that, though the main roads have been cleared, the median had not, so it was a bobsleigh ride to get across the highway.

I'm learning.

Whilst I was talking to my sister on Skype, suddenly, the starlings that had been crowding the bare tree outside the window in a Hitchcock-esque fashion, all disappeared and driving snow was being blown in a circular motion that meant it was horizontal and vertical at the same time.

After work, I went to check out the sales. So did everyone else. I don't play nicely with crowds, so I cut and ran. Well, again, more bobsleighed back home.

Although, as oft stated, we don't see many ads on TV, we do get the ones that come with the morning news. And by news I mean bunch of so-called TV presenters larking about. I should up my game. But anyway - there is one that I feel does the proverbial foot-shooting.
Kid goes into a shop because he sees a sign saying, 'Help Wanted.'
'Shouldn't you be out playing hockey?' asks the shopkeeper,
'Um...(very overdone winsome look from kid)...that's what I'm trying to do.' So the ad wants you to contribute to some fund that gives money to families so that the kids can play sports instead of bloody earning the money to do so. Feck off! That's EXACTLY what kids should be doing - going out and earning the dosh so that they've then earned the right to play.

There's little new on TV right now, so we're catching up on films we recorded previously. Last night we watched 'Untraceable' with Diane Lane and...oh some other people. It was bloody well done. I didn't think I was going to enjoy this suspense movie, but I was in.

Tonight though, we saw 'You Don't Mess with the Zohan.' Adam Sandler as an Israeli counter-terrorist wanting to be a hairdresser. The opening sequence wasn't too hopeful, but thereafter, well, all I will say is, make sure your bladder is empty before watching.
I laughed so hard and so long I cried. I'm more of a Stiller than Sandler fan usually, but this was no holds barred laugh-fest, and if that seems tasteless in view of the recent Hamas attack on Israel, that's kinda one of the points he's making.
The Hezbollah Helpline had me rolling helplessly.

Komish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love this photo of laurence - send to me ployse?!