Wednesday 13 December 2006

Invisibility

Shields up. How is your cloaking device working? Well if you're a middle-aged woman, probably pretty well.
It's not always a bad thing, this invisibility that comes with middle age, but it can be, oh yes, it can be a very bad thing indeed. The submerged part of the iceberg that keeps the whole thing afloat. I may come back to this. I probably will.

But help is at hand, we can all overdose on oestregen. Feministing's Jessica points us to an article about the dangers of eating soya. It seems as though the article is suggesting that eating too much soy is responsible for making men homosexual. Apparently the hormones in it can shrink the penis and feminise men. Now oddly, I'd never heard this theory about gay men having smaller penises, I'm sure most gay men hadn't either. And as for feminising everyone, he says this like it's a bad thing??

Perhaps Tom Cruise eats a lot of soy, I know that many of my friends feel he sets the gaydar off like a siren, I feel he isn't interesting enough to be gay, but on the plane coming back from the UK, I had an opportunity I would never have given myself, they showed 'Mission Impossible 3'.
Now back in the ...whenever it was, middle ages or something, when this was a TV show, I used to watch it faithfully. And for the times, it was good. Now the idea is old and worn and the Cruise-missile is having to throw more and more explosions and impossible building-scaling into the mix. It was like the proverbial dead horse. Flog it all you like, it ain't coming back to life.

I have been using the excuse of feeling under the weather to catch up on my back-viewing of TV progs that aired while I was away.
A woman who is certainly heading for middle age but never invisible is Mariska Hargitay, Detective Olivia Benson in SVU. Thank goodness she's back at last, not that there was anything wrong with rangy Connie Nielsen, but well, you know, there is just something special about Olivia.

I guess there are times, like I said, when it's good to be invisible.
The body count in Ipswich is up to five. Horrifying. The population are worried that the serial killer may move on to ordinary women. Yes, because he's just practising on the sub-standard ones.
Well, one of the prostitutes was a mother of three, so you'd think the 'ordinary' people would be able to empathise with that.
Still I suppose it must be said that it is mainly prostitutes whose work obliges them to get into cars with strangers.

Oh, Gott sei Dank, Old el Paso have finally invented a taco with a flat bottom, I think this may change lives, just not mine particularly. Unless I want to use some for holding more soy mince.

6 comments:

Sleepy said...

Mmmmm... Olivia... Mmmm.
I have very impure thoughts about her. Extremely impure.

Strangely, The Daily Worker had no mention of the plight of those poor working girls.

Anonymous said...

England is obviously following the lead of Robert Pickton in Vancouver - how many is it? - 60 prostitutes he is accused of killing? The police didn't care for years and years until the families started pushing for something to be done. I recommend the book, Missing Sarah, by Maggie DeVries. Her adopted native sister Sarah was one of the victims. She does more than humanize her. In lighter news -a bit of tv trivia - Mariska Hargitay, who plays Olivia, is the daughter ofwhat famous late actress?
- Karen

Schneewittchen said...

Why, an interesting question, Jayne Mansfield I believe.
I think Fred and Rose West were probably the nearest we had to the pig farm killer.

Sleepy said...

Pig Farm Killer?
We have way better names for our serial killers!
Yorkshire Ripper.
Suffolk Strangler.

Mmmmm... Olivia... Mmmmm

Schneewittchen said...

Yes, 'Doctor Death' certainly had a ring to it.

Sleepy said...

The media likes alliteration for mass murderers!