Tuesday 12 December 2006

Shareef Don't Like It

Ben gave me the Clash's Singles CD for Christmas, a pressie that I was mightily happy with. By coincidence there is an ad currently on TV where some guys are singing the wrong lyrics to 'Rock the Casbah', for example 'lock the cashbox' and 'kick the catbox', so it's one of those ads that makes you sing along, or croak along in my case (still but improving).

Last night someone asked me about Tony's recent foot-putting-down over immigrants whingeing about British values. Someone else said that Holland, who for reasons best known only to Eternal Beings of an omniscient nature, seems to attract a lot of immigrants from essentially Muslim countries, has adopted an interesting way of dealing with this.
Applicants for immigration are shown pictures of everyday Dutch life, for example two men kissing and people smoking marijuana. It is then made clear to them that this is what they are signing up for. So if the Shareef don't like it, the Shareef don't have to come to the Netherlands. Sorted.

Today is my daughter-in-law Sue's birthday. I love my daughter-in-law to bits and any future daughters-in-law will have the unhappy task of measuring up to Sue. I'm also lucky that Sue and Alex get on so well. Of course, it may be every daughter-in-law's dream to have a mother-in-law who lives 5,000 miles away. Although just in case my own ma-in-law is reading, not me of course :)
In any case, Happy Birthday Sue.

Just a short post today, Lori and I are off to UBC to hear an impossibly titled lecture to do with First Nations. (I think).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue Rocks!!
Happy Birthday!!!
-kev

Sleepy said...

I Love the Dutch. So sensible.