Friday 15 December 2006

A Mighty Wind

I had to walk for just five minutes behind our house to take this picture, a view which still has the power to stop me dead in my tracks.

We have some big weather. High winds, lashing rain, a possibility of snow forecast for the weekend. Yesterday when I was driving there was sleet, the snow component of it like tiny slush puppies on the windscreen.
A lot of our power cables here are above ground and we have many big trees. So, branches falling from trees or heavy snow plus exposed power lines, I'm sure you can join the dots. The power company, BC Hydro has just put its hands in the air and said they can't cope with the repairs. Friends here are muttering darkly about how they manage to bury the power cables in Manitoba where the ground is like rock and the temperatures in the winter forty degrees below.
Much of the Province is without power and we wonder whether we'll be next, the TV kept losing reception yesterday early evening.
On the radio, the company that is responsible for keeping the highway that goes to Whistler clear of snow, are not going to be getting their bonuses because they haven't been doing their job properly. Great to have snow on the mountains for the tourists, but not if they can't get to them.

Meanwhile, across the Atlantic in Paris, public transport goes from strength to strength. Tomorrow sees the return of the tram to the capital city, and very state-of-the-art they look too. My goodness. The French are rightly proud at this reintroduction, trams disappeared from Paris in 1937. Their return shows France's commitment to the environment.

Vermont is to become the third of the United States to introduce Civil Unions for gay couples. I consider this to be a huge step forward even though it seems so small, I mean surely the dominoes will all fall over eventually, well possibly not ever Texas. I do however still find it disquieting that there is this difference between Civil Union and Marriage and I am certainly coming round to the way of thinking that Civil Union is the way forward and should be available to all.

I like this point in the year, almost a pendulum turning moment of stillness. Dark, not yet Christmas, coming up to the shortest day but not quite there yet. A time for reflection and a short teatime of the soul, or perhaps more of an early supper. It feels as though, at our furthest point from the sun, the veil between darkness and light, life and death is stretched so thinly you can almost see the other side, hear the gentle sussuration of the sands flowing from top to bottom of the hourglass.

I know that sounds either wildly pretentious or melancholic beyond redemption or maybe a little of both, but I don't feel the infinite sadness, just a profound spirituality that is hard to convey.

Addendum : I've just gone and read my friend Sleepy's blog for today and she gives an account and quote from the recent case brought to court in Ireland where two women, married in Vancouver tried to have the marriage recognised in Ireland. If you don't already read Sleepy's blog anyway, I'd like to strongly encourage you to read this post.

5 comments:

Sleepy said...

That's some hell of a view! Puts Portsdown Hill to shame! Hehehe!

Crisp-e said...

Looks beautiful, but BLOODY FREEZING!!!! The winter weather in Canada is well known for its harshness. I have fond memories of my holiday in Amsterdam with sleepy. Only problem was that we chose to go in February. Not even the most eloquent of descriptions would have prepared me for what we experienced. The North Sea wind ruthlessly battered us and the rain was incessant; however, we did have an excellent time.

Schnee, do you remember Canadian Paul? He was a supply P.E. teacher. He told me that where he came from the temperature got as low as -40!!!! He said to me: “you probably think that you won’t be able to feel colder beyond a certain temperature (say -10)”? “Yep”, I answered. “Wrong! It feels colder and colder and colder”… I start shivering at temperatures way above 0, so I dread to think what it must be like.

Schneewittchen said...

Yes, it must be cold up in the mountains and in many parts of Canada, but here on the balmy west coast the temperature is roughly comparable with Pompey all year round.
About two hours away in Whistler is gets very cold, but again, mountains, I don't think they get down to those minus forty temps though.
I do remember Canadian Paul, he was from Toronto, they have harsher winters than us and very humid summers.

Sleepy said...

Mr Canada! (As George Ross called him) Fucking Hell, haven't thought of him for ages!
He was a nice guy. Really nice guy.

Schneewittchen said...

One of my classes used to refer to Kevin as Mr.Canada, they do sometimes lack imagination at Mayhem :)