Wednesday 27 December 2006

Three French Hens

Third day of Christmas - three French hens. Yes, no, I know those are camels. And I have no idea who would want three French hens, although I do remember an advert for Sainsbury's or Tesco's free range chickens with some celeb chasing hens through the woods in a remote part of France.

Yeah, well yesterday, I gave in and clicked the button that kept bugging me to update my blog. Then it took me a couple of hours to comb through the copy of the old template that they had kindly kept for me to put back in some of the features I already had. The new and updated blogger in some ways is more user friendly, it prompts you to do this and that, but it's more difficult to find things in the actual html, so I am far from happy with it, but I was also fed up with it, so it will have to wait until I am overcome with patience again. Happens about as often as Halley's comet.

Whilst Kevin and I are fortunate enough to be able to continue celebrating the festive season, Laurence was back to work today and thus had to get up for the 7.30 bus again. I set my own alarm for 8.00 so that I could go down and check he'd made it and still have time to drive him to work if he hadn't, but he had. I shouldn't have doubted him but if I'm honest I'd have doubted my own ability to get up this morning.

On the National Geographic HD channel, a rather annoying man is following the route Moses took when he led the Israelites across the Sinai desert. He has two native guides and one explains to him about the substance that the Israelites called Manna. He says that when it is heated and melted it tastes like honey.
'Do you have any prepared that I can taste?' asks annoying man. Of course he does and of course he keeps it in a coca cola bottle. Why wouldn't he? Product placement is everywhere.

It seems that the desert Bedouin have very strong hospitality rules, everyone who comes by is given three days' shelter and food, after that the guest is 'as welcome as a snake'.
The annoying man doesn't mind who he foists himself on, he went to stay at a Greek Orthodox monastery that was built at the site of the Burning Bush (nothing to do with feminine itching before anyone mentions it). The Burning Bush had been shifted a bit and seemed to be a wild raspberry.
Tip for if you ever find yourself tempted to accept the hospitality of Greek Orthodox monks, Matins is at 4 am and isn't optional.

Last week we rented the movie 'The Devil wears Prada'. The story starts out like that of 'Ugly Betty' the TV series, but progresses differently. Meryl Streep was just brilliant throughout. Every time Meryl would do some subtle little Meryl thing, Kevin would say,
'Now THAT'S why you hire Meryl Streep.'
She had a way of letting you know she'd finished with you, she'd look away and say quietly but firmly,
'That's all.'

That's all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought that movie was pretty good as well. Lisa loved it. I think that if Meryl Streep weren't around, Anjelica Huston would have an even bigger career. She can sure carry those roles as well. Just look at Life Aquatic v. Ever After.

Schneewittchen said...

Now THAT....is a very interesting point. I think I am inclined to agree with you there Adam :)

Sleepy said...

Nice to know that something that was considered a gift from G-d was readily available to him!
Greek monks are hardcore! I'm still pissed off I couldn't go to Mount Athos. No women or female animals.

Schneewittchen said...

It does literally just fall from the trees it seems.
It's very odd how some people think of God. There seems to be no logic in having a God (perfect being) who is a bigot, that would seem to be an imperfection. We should organise a women's convention at the base of Mount Athos and then storm it.

Sleepy said...

I would love to storm Mount Athos!