Wednesday 6 September 2006

Bingo

Or as we sometimes say, 'House!' Well, I make it sound as though I've ever been to a Bingo Hall, which I haven't, although I've seen them on TV. I understand they have super duper electronic ones here. How do I know this? Because one of the first pieces of writing we had to do when I joined Anne's class was about somewhere we loved to be. Another student wrote about one of these places. It was an amazing description and I was mesmerised by it, but I couldn't totally follow it because it was so much outside of my experience.

HOWever, I wasn't intending to write about Bingo, nope, I did mean House. A new series, or as they say here season, has started. I have learnt my lesson and will give no spoilers. Kevin said to me last night that it had seemed at first that the focus of the show was too narrow to last, how long could they keep up with the whole 'bizarre and unusual diagnosis' theme? And yet here we are with the opening of the third series and last night was just storming. Ah Hugh, did you ever dream that the most successful role in your career would be a non-comedy one, playing an American doctor? But who knows, perhaps even greater things are to come.

OK, now a question which will cause discomfort. How do we know whether our breast tissue is dense? Today, news of a recent study showing that tumours in dense breast tissue are more difficult to find and more likely to occur. For the majority of us, as we grow older so do our breasts, and they become less dense anyway. But this study isn't about tumours in younger women, so it is really a question we can't answer. Is our breast tissue denser than that of other women in our own age group?
I do want to know about all new research, and yet I can't help thinking that this one is setting us up for more worry, and this is one factor we can do nothing about. And this is the monster that all we women fear because it takes so much from us.

Short today. My laptop network card has given up the ghost. This is seriously unfunny. I am writing this on Kevin's mac, with which I have a love/hate relationship. I like the convenience of it when I travel, it is light and will search out networks like a bloodhound. But I don't like the OS as much as Windows, I know you're not supposed to ever diss Apple, but there you go. I'm hoping we can get mine up and running this evening. As ever, watch this space.

Addendum : I think that computers are just in the phase that TVs and telephones used to be. When I was young you could never rely on a TV picture lasting very long, they would roll or flicker and then the TV set itself wouldn't last as long as they do nowadays. Likewise the telephone service was always being inexplicably cut off and sometimes for up to a couple of days.
Now it's computers. And even they are getting better. Mine has a temporary fix as Kevin has come home with some joined up thinking and stuck a wire in the side of it. I didn't think of that, I'm already out of the loop when it comes to anything but wireless. Pathetic, but connected again. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also have a love/hate relationship with our mac.. I think I am just too Aspergers to cope with the change!

Simmi

Anonymous said...

I love bingo, grew up with it in fact. To this day, my now 75-year-old mother goes to bingo twice weekly. The last time I visited Winnipeg - 1999 (I know, I should go more often) I went with my mother. She kept looking protectively over at my card. I had a card, all the other women at our table had about 20 cards each. I used my mother's special Christmas dabber, shaped like Santa Claus.
I got a sweat twice (bingo parlayance for only needing one more number to win) but didn't win. Some senior citizen would yell at bingo. dammit.
- karen

Anonymous said...

Quite. As I am extremely preoccupied, my comments will be restricted to the following:

I too enjoy House.

Anonymous said...

In-built Obsolescence.. My 'old' laptop packed up 2 days after the warranty ran out.. 2 days!! You cannot imagine my fury.
It 'popped', smelled and smoked.. in essence..... Fucked.

Simmi

Anonymous said...

Schnee-- just a head's up that Posegate is now viewable by Safari and FireFox! Spread the word. We're famous ;)