Wednesday 27 September 2006

Dank Places

We went to the dank places in the Park today and we found these beauties.
Lori had an Australian moment and then we both remembered that we'd seen Terri Irwin on TV and that we'd both cried with her, so then we got choked up again.

Walking home from the Park yesterday, there is a section of road where there is no footpath and the grass verge slopes steeply away so you are forced to walk on the edge of the cycle lane. Richmond likes to encourage walking and cycling, but not to the extent that it provides anywhere to actually do it.
A car came wandering over the white line towards me. Driver on phone. Next one, same thing. A third car, exactly the same except the woman had a baby strapped in the back. I can imagine some dire emergency making the odd driver feel compelled to answer their phone, but this was three out of three and all three did exactly the same illegal and extraordinarily dangerous thing.
In Newfoundland, where the Canadians that other Canadians make fun of live, they have made the use of cell phones illegal whilst driving. I know who I think are the idiots.

Ah, the Vatican, again with the excommunications. This time it's a Zambian Archbish who not only got himself married five years ago, but now has ordained four other married priests. See, I think that's the sort of thing that encourages people into the Church, it probably also discourages priests from inappropriate thoughts. I see it as a win-win situation, but I am not in charge and nor would I want the job.

While we are on the subject of inappropriate religious actions, I see that the Taliban have murdered Safia Ama Jan, head of Women's Affairs in the democratically elected Afghan government. This was 'in retribution' for her success and efforts in educating women. Yeah, you can see how that upsets people, and by people I mean twisted, rotting bigots. The person who claims responsibility was called 'Mullah Sadullah' - has a sort of comic ring to it were it not for the emanations of pure evil that surround it.
Far be it from me to make comparisons, but in our own religion, and I think that this is one we stole from Judaism, we are wont to quote the line,
'Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord.'

There's so much watchable TV on at the moment that we can't keep up. We finally saw the first episode of Studio 60, Sunset Strip and we were totally liking it. That's all I can manage in the way of in-depth critical analysis, and Adam's already done a good job on it.
One of the Law and Order series that I love is Criminal Intent. I was a bit miffed however, when D'Onofrio and Kathryn Erbe as Goren and Eames, were supplemented by Chris Noth's already existing L&O character Mike Logan and partner. Now I like Chris Noth, no probs there, I just didn't want him subbing in this.
Last night however, his new partner arrived, an auburn-haired pixie of a character and a very strong pixie too. Gay of course. How do we know this? Because there is the compulsory female mechanic scene, you know, the slightly butch Latina mechanic who wears a headscarf and tattoos and who makes much eye contact with our woman. A propos of nothing, except to let pixie know that she has a girlfriend already, she had a cell phone that rings in the too-high-for-anyone-over-thirty to hear range.

'I've never had a partner who.......had freckles,' said Logan. Naaah, somehow I don't think it'll catch on as a euphemism.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never had a partner who had............. Gills.........

It's true...

Sleepy

Anonymous said...

Am loving the 'shrooms though! Are they 'Fly Agaric'... The stuff Witches used to take ...

Sleepy

Schneewittchen said...

Yep, them's the ones:)