Tuesday 5 September 2006

Mist

This morning there was mist on the fields as we drove Laurence to work, this really marks September in my mind. Misty mornings, making you wear a jumper only for the day to heat up later on and make you regret it. Purples and silvery greys are the colours of September for me.

School started in Britain last Friday, and one of my friends in the States has been back a couple of weeks. Today, across the road I can see cars in the car park of the secondary school, it must be starting up tomorrow. Ben has another week before college starts and Alex another two before uni.
Alex is feeling that sense of disconnection, that drôle de guerre, cut adrift from her life in Surrey, looking towards her move to London and yet not quite there. I can empathise with how she feels.

I still can't believe that Steve Irwin has died. Someone on TV likened it to when Princess Di died, and in truth, it did feel a bit like that. Disbelief.

Women's fertility seems to be a theme in the news. The British medical establishment are looking to deny fertility treatment to women who are obese, in spite of having recently been advised by the government that since the country itself needs a higher birthrate, they should be offering treatment on demand.
In the Guardian, Nichola Morris tells of the treatment she received in trying to get medical help for her problems in getting pregnant.
I am pretty sure that the name Nichola is pronounced the same as Nicola, I point this out in case you are the TV voiceover person who last night mis-pronounced the name of one of Britain's finest ever actors, Anthony Hopkins. Anthony is pronounced the same as if it were spelt Antony. At some point, someone is going to reach through the TV screen and crush your inarticulate bloody windpipe for such blasphemy.

To continue however with my musings on fertility, which belongs to the nation, I discovered - and don't panic when I say this - that I am 'pre-pregnant'. At least I would be if I lived in the U.S. The fertility police are out to get you if you still have a menstrual cycle. And as soon as you are no longer pre-pregnant and want to take something for it, HRT for example, look forward to hearing loss.

But all is not lost. Yes, everyone's out to control or own your fertility if you're a woman. If you're a man, don't reproduce over the age of 40 because you increase the risks to your child of autism, but if all else fails, at least you know, if you watch enough Bollywood films, that Lesbians Are Unhinged Killers who Want to Seduce Your Daughters.
I don't know if this is a pisstake or whether it's a real film (implied by the article). If it isn't then please someone make it, preferably someone with an actual sense of humour. (I noticed that my friend Raymond had commented on 'The Aristocrats' and he also seemed unimpressed. I couldn't find a permalink, so you have to go to the post entitled 'It seemed funny at the time'.)

Yesterday I saw a T-shirt with the words,
'My imaginary friend thinks I'm mental'. I nearly bought it.

Play Misty for me someone...please.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this fertility stuff count for me?

Simmi

Schneewittchen said...

It most certainly does!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! Even I recognise that I'm the last person on earth who should be a parent!

Simmi

Schneewittchen said...

WRONG! Oh so very wrong. Simmi, you would make a stonkingly good parent, bloody hell, the way you parent other ppl's kids - one of mine included - is fecking amazing. In your communal living house you could even run it on a Kibbutz basis, although since some of your roomies can't get their heads round a mop, maybe not so much.
Still, yet again, it's about controlling women. The State wants to control us when we are potentially fertile, er, I mean pre-pregnant, and as soon as we're not it just wants to ignore us, throw us on the scrapheap and maybe do a bit of practice butchery, er, I mean surgery on us. We're not talking anywhere near Taliban levels of control, so (note to self) lets keep it in perspective but nonetheless, yet again we're not just people in our own right.

Sleepy said...

Then the pre-pregnant need to go on strike! Withhold their ovum.

I have considered the kibbutz theme. The only thing putting me off is the fact that I would have to take a turn at the shitty jobs too.. I prefer my own brand of Liberal Despotism!