Tuesday 11 September 2007

50!

I am 50 today! I can't believe it, I'm the first of friends of my school year, I'm leading the way:)

I'm going to bed now, we've toasted my birthday with Islay malt - and Marmite. Tomorrow - still my birthday, I have the day off and we are going into town.

Expect more :)

AND....more. I am going to add whenever I'm back at the house. So, I've changed the picture. Sleepy came and pointed out these two spiders in one orb web to me, and so I took a picture against the blue of the sky.

I love the fact that we have so many different ways of greeting people now. I have a brilliant card from my friend Karen in Britain. It has things that happened in 1957, people who were born and most fascinating of all, what things cost then. A cinema ticket cost two shillings and a pound of sausages, two shillings and ninepence - two and ninepence. A Mars bar cost sixpence. A nurse earned £480 whereas a small saloon car cost £835. A black and white TV cost a princely £74. You could buy a colour one for less than that now. Thank you for that card Karen.

I have also received cards from my friend Hannah, from Kev's parents and from work, but also e-mails from Dawn and Ree and Eve, and messages on Facebook, I just love the diversity.

I've watched the French news, don't often get an opportunity to do that, and now I am waiting for phone calls from England, then we'll be going out.Later....we have had a wonderful day. I spoke to all of my children and grandchildren on the phone. Brunch at Havana on Commercial Drive (I always misremember it as being called Savannah)after which we discovered the most amazing 'Fair Trade' type shop next door, which sold very reasonably priced fabrics, clothes, crafts, household things, bric-a-brac, from around the world. 'Ten Thousand Villages' is the name of the shop, if you are on Commercial Drive, visit it!

Then over to Granville Island for more browsing and general retail therapy. We didn't find the Saki place though Gail!
When we got back, there was a card waiting for me from my friend Dawn, more Facebook messages and then some flowers arrived from my sister. Now we're going out for dinner....

7 comments:

Karemay said...

Janis, wishing you the happiest of birthdays. Have a great time celebrating. much love K xxx

Schneewittchen said...

Thank you Karen!!

kdf said...

Hopefully those phone calls will come in soon and you can hit the town full on. I love you, and look forward to reading more while I'm stuck at work :) I've actually got a list today.

Anonymous said...

Happy Day! No doubt you'll have 50 more.

Anonymous said...

Happy happy!
Ten Thousand Villages, by the by, is operated by MCC - Mennonite Central Committee.
you know i luv ya.
giggle.
karen
canadian

Schneewittchen said...

Thank y'all!

(Not you Osama)

Crisp-e said...

oops! Happy birthday for yesterday!