Sunday 9 September 2007

Canine Gargoyles

We have numerous slim black boxes around the place. They allow us to play our music, serve as an alarm clock and a clock and as a screen-saver, telling us the news headlines from around the world.
Except that now, Kevin has set them so that my blog also scrolls across. This takes me by surprise.
I was reading about the restaurant shooting in Vancouver, then all of a sudden, something about Sleepy. It's weird, and yet, seeing my own words scrolling across a screen like that, gives them a kind of validation, as though they were being broadcast in everyone's house just like the news headlines, although of course they're not, just mine.

I've had a spiffy day. Church, then speaking to all of my sons and my daughter. Then off to White Rock for a paddle in the sea and fish and chips and mushy peas, then back to Crescent Beach - to Blackie Spit, to look at the wetlands.

There was a big sign from the City of Surrey, warning dog owners that this was an environmentally sensitive area and that dogs were not allowed. It also pointed out the areas where you could walk your poochies. AND it even added a touch of humour by putting it in dog language.
And yet......naturally, there were two people walking and generally allowing to frolic, the ugliest dogs I have ever seen in my life. They looked like black pugs with huge bat ears, small, fat, canine gargoyles.

We ignored them once, the second time, I stood up and they stopped in their tracks. Sleepy was photographing a magnificent great blue heron.
I asked them if they realised dogs were not allowed in this area, they started mouthing off. Kevin had backed me up and Sleepy was now, head over parapet, enquiring if something needed to be done.
The two told me to shut up and walked off.
We started to walk back to the car, but realised they were not far behind us. I don't believe for one moment that they didn't realise, but presumably no-one else had challenged them. Either that or someone else had and they were beginning to feel outnumbered. They had told me that the dogs weren't hurting me and I pointed out that they were, according to the sign, harming the environment.

Afterwards, we went to see Kevin's parents. A fantastic day in all. Warm sunny, nature-y, mushy peas.

Fab.

4 comments:

Karemay said...

It sounds as if you are having a great time with sleepy. Great photograph of the heron.

Sleepy said...

It is going down as one of my Bestest Ever days!
It was just totally perfect.

Anonymous said...

Ah, you guys...I'm so very envious of the day, especially the heron. The heron IS MY bird...if I were a state, it'd be my state bird. Not everyone knows this, but it's true.

kdf said...

Personally, I could do without the White Rock traffic. Then again, I now know where to park and avoid the whole mess for only $5