Friday 21 September 2007

Coppers for Copper

Yet another series of...well not unfortunate, and in fact totally unconnected, events.

Walking to work I turned my ankle in exactly the same place as last week. Because I have to walk in the cycle lane, and in order to minimise my chances of death by cell-phone-using zombie motorists, I walk as far away from them as possible, ergo, I slipped off the tarmac onto the grass verge.

When I arrived at work, it turned out that Marco Polo, tiny garter snake, had kicked the bucket. Who knows why, maybe it had become too cold for him although we had put heating lamps above his tank.

Yesterday, the floodlights that illuminate our car park at work, had all the copper wire stripped out of them. A blue van was spotted. The RCMP came. Today, we saw three suspicious looking men walking around the park, they were carrying heavy rucksacks and they got into the same blue van. We took their number and called the RCMP. They came, but told us that if we insist on calling the non-emergency line, then they won't ever catch the thieves.....as it were.
They also took all the cable out of the streetlamps in Shell Road, the criminals, not the coppers, presumably without anyone noticing.
The Nature Park I can understand, after hours, after dark, they're pretty much only watched by the bats and owls, but a busy connector road?

Kris went to the freezer to get some ice for my ankle. She found actual food in there, all of which she chucked out and the dead animals remained. Go figure. To be honest, I wouldn't eat anything that had been in that freezer.
In the Nature House I could hear a mum drawing her kid's attention to the 'big puppy' or coyote as we call it.

In the afternoon, Alex and I went out looking for frogs and water bugs. We went to the small river known as 'the ditch'. It was indeed jumping with life, far more than our pond. I got stuck in the mud and Alex had to help me out. He actually seemed rather pleased to be out slopping around in the mud in the pouring rain. I like that in an assistant.

Kevin came to pick me up from work. My ankle was caning, although not very swollen. I had a hot bath and then settled on the sofa. The plan was to decide whether we'd drive down and across the border later, but once warm and dry with my foot up.....we decided to stay put.

I think I might break out the Horlicks that Sleepy brought over, or maybe the whisky.

1 comment:

Sleepy said...

Walking along that Hard Shoulder is one of the most frightening experiences! I'm amazed you haven't been injured more often.

RIP Marco Polo.