Friday 24 September 2010

Words and Music

Off to the Static this evening, and there's a storm a-coming apparently. The Static is an ace place to be in a storm, owing to the metal roof. This may or may not turn out to be the case. I mean it deffo has a metal roof, the other stuff, we'll see.

The Sleepy Mansions on tour brought me a CD from Austen, which brought me tracks from Mumford and Sons, which in turn were reinforced by the Sleepy Mansions on tour soundtrack.
Anyroad, I'm hooked and went and bought the CD. Four London lads to watch.

So that's music.
Reading, not the sprawling city where Beautiful People is set, but the inactive activity.

I bought an e-book by a historical writer, Alison Weir, and I think she actually is an historian, because I had previously read a non-fiction book by her.
The current book is about Eleanor of Aquitaine, and thus should be interesting, but I find that the constant set-piece sex rather interferes with the story. On the other hand, now that I'm used to it, I suppose it does explain people's motivations sometimes, it's just that it's so 'he thrust his throbbing penis between her damp thighs' type of thing. It's how I imagine Barbara Cartland must write sex, not that I'd ever want to take one for the team and read her.

Sleepy kindly left me her copy of the Hilary Mantel she was reading, 'A Greater Place of Safety'. I thought I'd get a little taster and started reading a couple of pages. Instantly addicted, but I've had to put it down until I've finished with the Queen of England.

2 comments:

Sleepy said...

Nothing throbbing or thrusting with Hilary!

Schneewittchen said...

I think in the end I kinda got why Alison did it, I just...woulda done it differently.