Friday 12 January 2007

Deep and Crisp and Even

I walked to the Nature House yesterday. Outside it was deep, it was crisp, it was even. Ok, not so terribly deep, but where it was deepish I was better off. The law here for some outlandish reason obliges householders to try to ensure that other residents break their necks. Thus, where people, bizarrely for once observing the law, had gone out and cleared the snow from their paths or the pavement in front of their house, as the temperature had frozen everything overnight, so these clear patches had turned into neck-breakers.

I slowly made my way down Five Road, a main road. Things were better here, constant traffic had turned the snow to slush and the verges hadn't been touched.
Looking down from the bridge that crossed the highway, I could see a man with a professional camera setup filming. Further along was a bus, simply abandoned on the central reservation and further still, an articulated lorry overturned. Three police cars with their lights going were attending.

I reached the corner where Westminster Highway intersects with Five Road - a short walk from the Nature Park, and the road was blocked by a barrier and another police car. I ignored it and carried on towards the park, only to have an RCMP officer shout at me and run across the road to stop me. She asked me where I was going, I told her, I told her I worked there. She told me there had been an 'incident' at Shell road and I was not to walk down that far. I pointed to the Nature House, virtually behind me. She smiled and touched my arm and apologised.

When I arrived, Lori and Kris told me that a car with bullet holes had been found abandoned and later in the day, we found out that a man's body had been discovered. Weird, so near to home.

In the Nature House we took down the Christmas trees and other decs. Sometime towards the end of the month the Fire Brigade will come and take down the lights and cutout gingerbread people and such like on the boardwalk.

In the morning, my cousin had phoned me from Ontario.
'We have no snow here,' she said, 'it's scary.'

The sky looks heavy again, it'll either rain and wash away the snow or it'll deposit more snow.
I think I'll go for a walk.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annoyingly, at least in Richmond, the law ONLY applies to condo/strata complexes. It says that after a snowfall, the sidewalks and walkways must be shovelled clear by 10am the next morning. This does not, so far, apply to detached homes, who get the right to moan loudly about how pathetic the city is for not having it done for them by 10am the next morning.
-k

Sleepy said...

Great Photos!

Schneewittchen said...

You know what? It never occurred to me before that all non-strata homes here are detached.

Thanks Sleepy, the snowscape pretty much leaps up and hits me in the eye, all I have to do is point and click, no skill needed.

Sleepy said...

What the fuck is non-strata??

Schnee... You need to get skype and talk to English people.... Your skills are drifting!...

Schneewittchen said...

Hmm...you sure know how to kick a girl in the girl-goolies Sleepy :)

Ok. Strata. Oh fuckit, Kevin can explain, I'll prod him:)

Sleepy said...

Rod tells me,
'The first cut is the deepest'!

Anonymous said...

Wikipedia is your friend...
Condo/Strata

It means we get to avoid the 35yr mortgage, but we have to pay for our own roads, speedbumps and post boxes.

Karen said...

a shooting? yes, gangs seem to be rife in your neck of the woods these days.
Scary though.
Apparently in my hometown of Winnipeg the temperatures are hovering at -35C, without windchill.
- Karen

Schneewittchen said...

I don't think the police have yet said anything about a gang being involved but obviously if you have inside knowledge from the Eastside massive you should let the Richmond RCMP know immediately.

Interestingly though, the previous shooting, to which I believe you are referring, in Dover Park, involved the brother of the man who was sent down for his - some might say - brilliant, others might say evil - dial-a-dope scheme.