Monday 15 January 2007

Oh Là-là !

The highest grossing Canadian film in the history of its cinema, was 'Bon Cop, Bad Cop'. I have no idea how far this has made it outside of Canada, so I'll explain a few things about it.
The premise was that the body of a murder victim is discovered half in Québec, half in Ontario, and since there is no consensus about which jurisdiction should handle the case, they both do.
Yes, imagine the dramatic tension, a French-Canadian and an Anglo-Canadian working together. And the dialogue shifts constantly and easily back and forth between the two languages. You can have either language set as subtitles and they are needed, Québecois French can at times be 'not French as we know it Jim.'
Both Kevin and I enjoyed the film immensely, a right good watch.

Snow and ice and general cold weather has finally arrived in Southern Ontario, weather to which they are entitled by law. So you'd think that they might be ready for it even if us softies out west treat it like some anomaly never before experienced.
Still, I say that like butter wouldn't melt in my mouth, but if'n I were trying to travel via Toronto and my flight were suddenly cancelled, I'd be a less than happy bunny. I've certainly sat on the runway there whilst they de-iced and de-iced the plane so that it could take off.

Speaking personally, I thought it was a well-known fact that if you drank an enormous quantity of water, all the electrolytes get washed out of your heart. Normally in this type of case, like the person who didn't realise that if you hold a cup of coffee between your legs while driving you may get scalded, I think that the person is at least guilty of profound stupidity. In this case though, I'm up for blaming the radio station. They encouraged people to do something dumb for a prize and their defence is that they told the contestants,
"....if you don't feel like you can do this, don't put your health at risk".
Good grief. What if some of the contestants had been teenagers, they wouldn't necessarily have known what the risk was, although I'm pretty sure they do now.

I'm sure my fellow Brits are not amused by the revelation that Britain contemplated a 'merger' with France in the 1950's. I myself am stunned. The second World War had only been over for five years and well, let's just say that whilst there were some very brave French women and men who risked all for the war effort, in general it does seem as though France was a bit of a damsel in distress who needed to be rescued on the way to fighting the dragon.
Still, at the end of the day, it didn't happen. I suppose I should be unhappy, surely it would have made my job as a teacher of French easier? Yeah, I doubt it somehow.

Honestly, it must be said, some friendships are just too high maintenance.

No comments: