Sunday 25 March 2007

Hair Bears

So late last night I was channel hopping and came across a proggie with some resurrected Brit bands of the 60's. I caught several of them, including Eric Burden and the Animals and Rod Argent and the Zombies. Petula Clark was hosting. I'm pretty sure that Eric Burden has actually changed the spelling of his surname, which seems to now be 'Burdon'.

Now there is an oft repeated opinion that men get more 'distinguished' as they age, whereas women go to seed. This show gave the lie to that little thought. Lulu was still fabulous. Pet Clark looked older but still attractive. The blokes in the bands though, here I suck my breath in through my teeth.......
I tried to work out what the problem was. I mean they hadn't lost their voices or the ability to play instruments, several of them had put on weight, but so what, they could still dress well, although there was also a tendency towards the Hawaiian shirt, which isn't a good look for anyone except Chin-Ho. Most of them had slightly grizzled faces, but then again, so what, they were still sparkly and looked like the kind of blokes that could come to your house and be entertaining, fun, share a few laughs.
No, it was the hair.

I'm not a fan of Phil Collins, I find his music boring, but he knows what to do about the thinning old guy hair. He can work that grade 2 shave. And that, in my opinion, is the direction some of these guys should have gone. The collar length straggle look to me screams,
'Scissors, Clear! Get Carson Kressley and the boys over here stat.'

This morning, on the National News, we had the disingenuous spectacle of Halle Berry playing the race card. Clearly at some point in her career, someone had said to her about a part that they 'didn't want to go black with it.' Shucks. She has had plenty of other parts where the character could have been played either by a black or a white woman. Here's the thing Halle, your job is all about how you look.
'Oh,' she trilled, 'I don't give a thought to being beautiful.' Well duh! How about if some director said to you,
'Oh, we don't want to go beautiful with this part.'? Hmmm?? Another thing that pissed me off is her having to use the expression, 'women of colour'. You are black Halle, black be fracking proud of it like everyone else.

Now compare and contrast with the non-whingeing of the likes of Queen Latifah. I wonder.....I just wonder....do you think she ever gets passed over for parts because she's a 'woman of substance' ? See, I'm thinking in anorexia-obsessed Hollywood, that maybe yes. She's a fine actor and a fine-looking woman, hell she advertises cosmetics, someone has some nous, and yet....

To one of the other newscasters this morning, 'Hey idiot, the term to talk about the exploits of British explorers is 'Derring-do' not daring-do.' Twonk.

The sun is out. But.....

This business of Iran holding British Naval personnel cannot end well. But then, someone should have done something about that little twat some time ago instead of pussy-footing around. Iraqi eye-witness accounts support the British position. I can feel the onset of a bit of derring-do.
Unless....could the UN actually DO something for a change?

4 comments:

Sleepy said...

I must admit to laughing at the UN guy when the mortar went off this week.
He ducked and basically shit a brick, the Iraqi minister didn't flinch!

Schneewittchen said...

Haha, was that on newsreel? I'd like to have seen that :)

Sleepy said...

Yep! Must be on youtube somewhere.

Schneewittchen said...

And a big thank-you to Dawn for providing that.