Thursday 29 March 2007

Turtles

There are so many moments when I am walking or driving around both in Richmond or Vancouver, when I am struck by the beauty, awed by the mountains. You can crest a hill and suddenly, there they are, or the clouds lift, or rain falls and on the mountains it can fall as snow, so you round a corner and they have been renewed.
Today, after a warm, sunny afternoon, the mountains had the look of a painted backdrop. It's weird how that happens, but I've noticed it before.

I went shopping after work, I wanted to buy something for Lori as it's her last day at work tomorrow. I bought something for myself too, a book that caught my eye, I couldn't leave it there on the shelf when it was clearly written for me personally. Bill Bryson's 'Troublesome Words'. Yes, a book that feeds my obsession for language. Ah, how I love the idea that there is an actual right and wrong way to use language. Lovely.

Today was the first day we saw turtles, and they were out in force, I think we spotted six in all, the one I saw was sunning itself on the bank opposite the pond platform.
We had two older classes in today, much more my cup of tea. I enjoyed teaching them and their teacher was very fullsome in her praise of me. Of course I basked in it, but the truth is, I'm a trained and experienced secondary school teacher, the grade 5's that she was having trouble with weren't even a blip on my radar.

Tomorrow we're crossing the border. Sounds more than it is, we're just dropping down over the border into Washington State, but I don't expect to be able to post until Sunday evening.
So I'll wish y'all a happy and restful weekend. And a Happy Birthday to Canadian Karen.

1 comment:

Sleepy said...

Are you off to claim Seattle?!

Have a safe trip.

Happy Birthday Karen.