Monday 23 April 2007

Crowe

I have arrived at the point in my recovery where I have loads of energy but little appetite and my voice is at the Mariella Frostrup stage. Which is a bit of a plus to be honest.

I have spent the day getting my office sorted out to the point where I can actually work in it. There are still things that need to move, costumes, one coyote and a raccoon, but the first sift of stuff is almost done. The next layer will be a deeper sort.

The temperature has been higher today, if the thermometer in my office is to be believed, it is over 20º. Feels a tad muggy too.

I hear that the Queen - the real one - has admitted to being a Helen Mirren fan, although she will not watch the film. I wonder if Prince Philip has. I wonder if Tony and Cherie have. I wonder, I wonder.

Last night, on Discovery Health or some other such channel, Kevin and I got hooked into one of those programmes you see from time to time about the morbidly obese. These people were so huge that they couldn't walk, well, one could, but she was headed in the same direction as all the others. But those programmes never answer the questions you really want the answer to, for example, considering they can't leave the house and thus can't work, how do they manage to spend three hundred dollars a day on food?
This kept coming up. You saw a pile of chocolate bars that one of them would eat in a day, and we were told the person spent £14 a day just on chocolate (there was a mixture of British and American people on the show). Then another god knows how much just on crisps. It was adding up to thousands, where does this money come from?

Now it seems that too many sharks are being killed and one result of this is an increase in the next level of fish down, the ones the sharks prey on, so they are eating more of the next layer, oysters and scallops. Now I love my shellfish, but I also like skate and such like, which is that intermediate fish. So why don't we just eat more of them? Sounds like a plan to me. And the price should go down too.

Russell Crowe - who'd have thought? What a dude. He has apparently bought a rugby team. And it turns out the rugby team had cheerleaders, which seems bizarre in itself. But Russell has got rid of them, because they make women feel uncomfortable. AND, says Russ,
'..it makes men who want to take their sons to the game uncomfortable.'
Ladies and Gentlemen, Russell Crowe - a god.

4 comments:

LentenStuffe said...

On a marginally related issue, my sister accused me of insensitivity because I once remarked on the fact that a panhandler on the street importuned me with a cigarette dangling from his gob: 'I can't even afford to splurge on a paperback, with four children to support, but this person can indulge an expensive habit'. Where does he get the money to buy cigarettes?

I agree with you about Crowe. He's pretty cool, but then he'd have to be to have committed Kavanagh poems to memory. I heard about him buying a rugby team ... Speaking of rugby, two English teams will be in the Heineken Cup final in May: Leicester Tigers and the London Wasps. These are powerhouse teams, fierce warriors, with such reserves of strength and style. Munster won it last year but was eliminated by Llanelli and Leicester this year. It was a tough competition too. Looks like the French and English clubs have sabotaged the league, so this will be its last year.

Are you going to follow the World Cup in September? I doubt that England can repeat their 2003 performance, though they've an immense pool of strong players to tap. Ireland's resources are more limited, but our team is peaking at the right time. We really should have won the Championship this year, but were narrowly ousted by France. France and Ireland are in the same pool(D) in the World Cup, so France will be hard to beat as hosts of the event. Still, I'm hoping we emerge first out of our group, so that we won't have to meet the All Blacks, who will definitely win in theirs.

I'm a total rugby fanatic, but then what sane, self-respecting person is not?

Schneewittchen said...

Er, well, that would be me Lenten, although in my defence, I have produced two strapping sons who are rugby fans, both who have played at some point. The other strapping son has a similar sports filter to my own.

This evening though, the Canucks won their hockey game and are thus into the next round of the playoffs, and the response to this was so loud in the streets of Vancouver that it broke through my sports filter.

I am with you on the street person, since we do pay taxes so that they can and do receive benefits. They can buy fags or whatever else they like with it if they wish, but no, don't then ask me for money for food.

Sleepy said...

The thing that is starting to get to me, is the number 'fugees' who are selling the Big Issue.
Fuck Off!
I thought that was for the homeless to sell. If they are homeless then why are they allowed to come?

My brother wanted to emigrate to Australia. His wife has family there.
He had to have £20 000 in the bank, sponsors and proof he has a job to go to.
Can you imagine the response if he'd said he'd flog the Big Issue and beg on the streets of Sydney?

Schneewittchen said...

That particularly irks me with Commonwealth countries, there should be much easier immigration, seems to only work one way though, either the Australians are producing far more dentists than they can possibly find work for, or they are inexplicably drawn to the notorious teeth of the British.