Wednesday 25 April 2007

Wacky ?

So are we all agreed then? Wednesday is no longer Hump Day, since everyone stopped having mid-week sex it's now called Wacky Wednesday. Seems to be popping up all over the place as the nom du jour so let's just all agree on that.

E-mails you don't want to receive from your offspring : your daughter snogged some bloke out of Eastenders. E-mails you're very happy to receive : your son has been given a much deserved senior management position at work. Nice one son.

Thank you for all the comments and e-mails about my rather sudden illness yesterday. I woke up feeling well this morning and went into work and lasted the whole day fortunately. One school had booked two programmes today, and had also booked a school bus to bring them, so I'm rather glad we didn't have to cancel, but I do get that health is the most important concern.

I actually started to feel that my illness was a little underwhelming when I read in The Week about the two French trekkers who had finally found their way out of the Amazon jungle after seven weeks. All they had eaten were bird-eating spiders and frogs.
Now, I understand that being French, they are noted for eating animals that the rest of us would puke at the thought of, but even they only just survived. One of them lost four stone and was infested with parasites. Finally he could walk no further because he had been poisoned by an undercooked spider.
Makes my three and a half hour fest look rather lame. There's a moral to their story, but for god's sake, let's not revisit that.

My friend Karen told me this morning about the sad news of the death of footballer Alan Ball. It's kind of scary when people you imagine are fit and healthy, yet who are only 12 years older than you die so young. I expect there will be some kind of mourning going on in Pompey since he was their manager a couple of times. Yes, I know that sounds as though he was the manager of a City, but trust me, the City and the football team - no real difference.

I feel a little put out that when John Reid, Home Secretary mentions Hegel in the House of Commons, he impresses everyone, when I mention Hegel I get accused of being too friendly with the dead philosopher. Now of course it'll just seem like copying. I think I may have to stamp my foot.

I knew I was truly better last night when I was able to watch Gordon Ramsey on 'Kitchen Nightmares' liquidise prawns and chocolate together, and then chicken and banana and make the poor chef and restaurant manager drink the horrible concoctions blindfolded, to prove that their menu was shite. They begged him not to make them drink more. Gordon's not really a people person I feel, but then people who go on his show know exactly what he's like, then get upset by it.

We were finally able to find my colleague some coyote scat today. He needs it - or urine - to scent mark his garden and keep unwanted bunnies at bay. Hope it works.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ridiculous segue from your blog but funny that you mention chocolate. I saw an article yesterday that Hershey's and others are petitioning the FDA to change the definition of chocolate so they can replace cocoa butter and solids with vegetable oil and milk solids. First thing I thought was "I should send that to Janis." So, here you go.

Schneewittchen said...

Thank you Gail!
I had no idea that Hershey's used any cocoa products in their 'chocolate'.

Schneewittchen said...

...Although, in fairness, we did have a few problems in Britain over the percentage of cocoa solids in Cadbury's, the EU were not happy and wanted to call it vegelate or some such.

Sleepy said...

Vegelate, sounds like some sort of oral sex act with food!

LentenStuffe said...

Good that you're on the mend.

Isn't going into the Amazon kinda like going on the G. Rammed-see show: You've a good idea what you're letting yourself in for?

All this talk of sex and food makes me want to Vegelate a potato! (Thanks Sleepy!)

Schneewittchen said...

Haha, yer right Lenten :)

However I'll try and forget the visual of vegelation of potatoes a la Sleepy.