Thursday 19 April 2007

Tie

I narrowly avoided a hoppa bus this morning. Its number changed from 'C96' to 'Go, Canucks, Go!' It seems that the Canucks are still in the playoffs. I'm really surprised that the buses in footie obsessed Pompey don't do the same thing.

So, I'm reading that the cardigan is the last word in men's fashion. Of course, but why is the Guardian banging on about rock stars and various ne'er do wells ? Johnny Depp resurrected the cardigan in Secret Window. Honestly? The cardi beats the three piece suit anyday. I wish men's fashion would move away from the suit.
Last night on TV, when I was lying in bed aching and shivering, I started to watch a programme about Ronald Reagan and the Cold War. I didn't get very far. Sometimes when a programme commentator or presenter points something out, I see something I didn't before.

But when they showed Reagan and Gorbachev meeting and said how Reagan stunned the world by looking so stylish against Gorby in a long overcoat I just looked and thought,
No, no, no. Reagan looks like a old-fashioned twat in his suit and oiled back hair. There's nothing stylish about ignoring the Russian weather. Gorby in fact was the stylish one.
So for a trivial reason, a man in a suit, that and rapidly approaching sleep, I passed on the opportunity to gain some insight into the Cold War.

I think it's the tie I object to most. I quite like the Nehru jacket. But the tie, it goes through few fashion changes, thin, wide, big patterns, subdued colours. Ties are the most stupid garment ever. It defines the old boys club, old school tie, and it keeps designers of men's clothing from being inventive.

Oh hang on, I've thought of an even more stupid item of men's clothing, but for some reason still worn around the neck. Those bootlace things that Texans wear.

Cardis are unisex. A woman can look great in an oversized men's cardi, although admittedly, a man would look naff wearing a woman's one.
Still, tis that cardi time of year. And it's that medicating time of night. Things improved a little today, fever and aches gave way to sniffles. The voice was in and out, but made it through the day.
A little something less for the weekend ?

1 comment:

Sleepy said...

I always thought Gorby looked smart!
He is the reason I own a big furry hat.
I got it in a Russian Army Surplus store in Budapest.