Monday 25 June 2007

Ketchup

It hath been a busy few days and no mistake and it doesn't look set to ease up either.

On Thursday, when I went on the seniors' tour with Kris, we had a medical crisis. Betwixt moving from one breathtaking vista to another, one of the ladies had a 'diabetic event'. Basically she passed out, came round, tried to stand up and then collapsed while Kris was trying to help her. We called the emergency services.
Here, whichever emergency service can respond most quickly, does, so both times that we have had to call them out, the fire brigade have turned up first. They are trained in first aid and, I suppose, triage. I have no idea whether we have this same system in Britain, but every time I've ever had to call an ambulance there, you bloody well had to wait until the ambulance got there. The system here is, in my opinion, better.

In the evening, we went to a Carribean restaurant. Interesting choice, thought I but oh well, it's somewhere different and of course hideously difficult to get to but whatever. And it was friendly, had a menu full of different rums, a typically laid back attitude to....well, everything really, but here's the thing, or, if you like, da ting. I decide I will order the most Carribean of dishes, jerk chicken and rice and pea. Now me, I'm not much of a cook, so this hypothetical scenario is dead certain not to happen, but say I were to open a British resto, then I'd make bloody, BLOODY sure that my bangers and mash, my fish 'n chips and my roast beef and Yorkshire were absolutely spot on.
The jerk sauce was good, but I'm thinking - out of a bottle. The rice and pea were dry, no-one had spent three days making that bad boy.

Tonight I had a half an hour turnaround. Just time to say hi and bye to Kevin and Laurence. Mañana, Mount Seymour for a field trip with the summer school leaders.

So at the weekend, we watched two films, 'Little Children' with Kate Winslet and no-one else of any consequence. It was good. She, of course, was superb. The second was 'One Good Year,' with Russell Crowe. Like La Winslet, he can hold a film. Just as well really, this film was nice, beautiful cinematography, some great supporting cast but....ehh, it was Ridley Scott, so it should have been stunning.

In Kabul, two women journos have been murdered, basically for being women. THAT'S worth fighting against.
Turkey have astonished me most this week. They want to get into the EU. They know that Angela doesn't like them very much. So to ingratiate themselves even less, they threaten to invade the Kurdish enclave in Iraq. Hmmm, let me think about that. The part of Iraq that is the most vulnerable because Sadist Hussein attempted and pretty much almost succeeded in eradicating it, yes a bit of genocide before breakfast certainly gets the blood circulating, why not go back in and finish the job off?
Even the wishy washy countries in the EU might be able to see a problem with that.

Finally, the statistic of the week - the average age for a first kiss for a Chinese person is 23.
Quote of the week, Lily Tomlin quoted in the Calgary Herald and then in 'The Week', 'I always wanted to be somebody but I should have been more specific.'

2 comments:

Sleepy said...

The Multicultural Centre in Pompey knocks out some gorgeous Carribean food.
Prices are superb too.

Schneewittchen said...

I will bear that in mind - and there's somewhere else for my friend Nigel to go :)