Tuesday 26 June 2007

More Beauty

So....just in case I haven't yet completely managed to convince my friend Karen to come out and stay with us next year, here are some more pictures of beautiful BC - all within an hour's drive from where I live.

We found ourselves at the top of the mountain by mistake. I swear that's what happened. The plan was that I would drive the two summer school leaders to Mount Seymour where they are taking a group of kids in two weeks' time. So, it seemed logical that when we came to the bottom of Mount Seymour, we should drive up the winding mountain road. Only when we got to the top - where as you can see there was still snow on the ground, we realised the trail we were looking for, wasn't there. A Provincial Parks guy told us to go back down the mountain and turn right.

There were confusing signs along the side of the road, reminding you to drive slowly because of deer. That wasn't confusing, but the camel, rhino and elephant on them was. Made us look though. I also still haven't figured out the message on the bear-proof garbage bins, 'A fed bear is a dead bear.' Hmmm.

Eventually we found the lake trail and that was also beautiful as in fact you can see.
We finished back at the Nature House eating Dairy Queen sundaes.
Perfick.

The weather today was pretty damn nice too, although now the trees are blowing about. If I were in Britain I'd know a storm was coming but here, it could just as easily blow itself out.
I feel kinda spoilt having had such an idyllic day, good thing it ended by my managing to spill hummingbird syrup in my hair, but then that's another story.

3 comments:

kdf said...

A fed bear is a dead bear: If humans feed bears, they become naturalised to humans and thus tend to wander more into human areas. Inevitably there comes a conflict and the bear must then be put down. Best to watch from a distance and let them deal with their own food.

Sleepy said...

kevin.. Makes sense. What about that poor little sod who was dragged out of his tent and eaten.
I think it was somewhere in the States.
That has got to be one horrible way to die.

Schneewittchen said...

Thanks m'dear, I thought maybe they ate us and then died from the bad taste.

I haven't read that story Sleepy, but the majority of times when bears attack campsites it's because people simply don't and actually refuse to follow the State and Provincial Parks' warnings about food storage.