Friday 15 June 2007

Shadows

I'm going to recount something that happened today and make no comment on it, because none is necessary.

At around 15.00, Kris and I both came out of our offices because we heard small feet running back and forth in the Nature House. There was a two-year old girl there and no sign of a mother.
'Where's your mummy?' we asked, but she seemed too young to answer.
'Is she in the washroom?' asked Kris and the girl nodded. We both stayed in the main area waiting for the mum to emerge, but after a while I thought I'd check that nothing had happened to her.
There was no-one in the toilet.

I started pointing in different directions and asking the girl if her mummy was there. She nodded every time.

'I did see her mum in here before,' said Kris, 'she was quite well-dressed but wearing high heels,' - this is odd for the Nature Park.

I walked towards the door to look out, and the little girl followed me. As I stepped through the doorway, my hands were by my side and she slipped her hand in mine. I could see a couple with a child in the play area, so I walked towards them.

'Is that your mummy?' I asked the girl, and she nodded. But as I drew nearer, a woman got out of a car in the car park and the little girl ran towards her. The woman thanked me, but she had just been sitting in the car with a man.

What other details can I add?
There are two public entrances and one back door, all of which are open on a hot afternoon like this.
I don't think the public are necessarily aware that we are all police-checked.
Yesterday a woman in her middle years came in and asked if she could borrow a whistle in case she saw anyone strange out on the trails, she said this had happened once. To be fair she seemed rather odd herself.
The back door has easy access from the trails.

'Nuff said.

The school programmes have finished for the summer. Betty Bee has hung up her duster and the props have been packed away. I will have a week of tidying and clearing up before getting started on my game plan for September.
Oh and I'll need a new assistant, we'll have to see how that one goes. Rob told me about a friend of his who genuinely thought that Italian was just an accent. I'm hoping for a French speaker who doesn't just think that French is an accent.

3 comments:

Sleepy said...

Should have phoned the filth.
Fucking Mother sounds like she's having an affair... a bloke in a car?.... Mmmmmm...

Schneewittchen said...

Honestly - it occurred to me she may have been booking some business. It's not so long ago that we had two major prostitution busts in Richmond, both centred around the Chinese population - as this woman was - and she was dressed so differently from the people who normally visit the place - or even who walk around the town.

LentenStuffe said...

You're right, that totally speaks for itself.