Wednesday 11 July 2007

Blueberries

Although I realise that ferns do not yield up blueberries, the picture makes me feel a modicum cooler.

This morning as I went into the Nature House, I noticed the first ripe blueberries of the season. They didn't taste very sweet, but it was a thrill to see them. This evening I bought the first punnet of the season. Oh, no, not true, I got them free for spending over $150.

The temperature is now stupidly hot, and I mean STOOPIDLY. Getting in to the car - stifling, standing out in the car park - suffocating. In the house - wall of heat. No hiding place, especially if you're in downtown Vancouver, since they've been told to turn off their a/cs.

I went round to visit my dragon today, the one that's being made. It is brilliant. I had been told that this woman was an amazing artist, but until she showed me round her house and I was able to see her work for myself, I had no idea how good. Her work is just brilliant, beyond brilliant, it needs to be seen.

So it turns out that men and women talk the same amount. A 'noted neuropsychiatrist' had previously 'found' that while women utter around 20,00 words a day, men only spoke about 7,000. In the case of said neuropsychiatrist, clearly 7,000 words of bullshit.
Researchers at the University of Arizona somehow persuaded 400 people to wear a device that automatically digitally recorded all of their conversations over a period of time and the study itself went on for six years. Pretty thorough then. The result was that there was no significant difference.
Next stereotype please....

I can't help wondering whether the premier of Pakistan is feeling a little sheepish about certain remarks he made about Salman Rushdie, now that he and the nation's Pres have been pretty publicly spanked by Al-Q.

The Guardian reports that an increase in the wearing of pants in the Middle Ages increased literacy. I'm not totally sure I follow the argument, more underwear = more rags = more paper = greater literacy. Yeah see, I'm not sure how paper per se increases literacy, I would have thought some actual teaching may have to be involved.

2 comments:

Sleepy said...

Didn't the Reformation help with literacy?
Prods were allowed to read the bible for themselves whereas the Catholics were only allowed to listen to the Priest's interpretation of it.

Schneewittchen said...

Hmm...well and grafting the underwear argument onto that, it now starts to work because Protestants are more puritanical and therefore wear underwear more readily, and prolly thicker knickers too. Catholics need to have easy access to their junk for all that obligatory baby-making.
Yep. see, you've found the missing piece of the jigsaw:)