Monday 9 July 2007

Hunting Dragons

Soporific - the late afternoon heat and the smell of cedar as I drove across the bridge towards Karen's.

Today I've been hunting dragons. Or creating them. I overstate my case, I'm not doing the creating, just the imagining.

On Saturday, we have another Special Event, the 'City Centre Celebration'. I have decided to go with dragons. We're as likely to have dragons in the Park as anywhere else.
I have an artist who is going to create them for me and I took her to buy plastic cardboard - that's how i think of it, corrugated cardboard only made of plastic. I've written my dragon stuff, suggesting that they must be reptiles and why. We're having a Chinese dragon and a Western dragon, which seems representative, the City is half and half. The children will colour in scales and stick them on. That's my plan. I should probably get some sparkles.
Who am I kidding? In my cupboard I have an entire bucket labelled 'sparkles'.
One of my colleagues brought me in a book to look at, it informed me about Dragonology. A beautiful book, the kind of book you want to hold in your hands and turn over. A book to run your fingertips over. A book to gaze at.

My friend Dawn has arrived safely in Bangladesh, for which I give thanks.
I am quoting from her e-mail,
"We've been moving all day long--three generous meals of wonderful new tasting
foods (I've been careful what I eat), sight-seeing, and shopping. The sights
and sounds in this busy, hospitable city are like pages of geography books
jumping off the page and coming to life! It's been a wonderful day! I have
seen a Hindu temple for the god of strength, toured the University of Dhaka,
stopped at a memorial for the celebrated Day of Language, and walked around a mausoleum."

I was surprised but relieved to hear from her so soon.

This evening, coming back from Karen's, the sun had sunk enough for the air to be bearable and the sky tinged with coral.
As I drove home, catching the sun sinking behind the mountains in my driving mirror gave me goosebumps.

6 comments:

Sleepy said...

You have a bucket 'Labelled' sparkles?
Tsk Tsk

Schneewittchen said...

Of course! What else would it be labelled?
Although it does have very big asterisks around the word sparkles.
Nothing that can be ingested in any way of course....

Sleepy said...

I'm hanging my head here..

Raymond's Brain said...

I read something once about the "biology" of dragons that invoked them having a lot of gas with made them light enough to fly and also produce flames at will.

Schneewittchen said...

This is a bit of a flaw in my argument Raymond. I have argued that possibly the fire breathing tendencies of dragons comes from their surplus gas which comes out of the front instead of the back door and is lit by some mechanism, but I've also argued both that
a) Reptiles eat less than mammals because they rely on external sources (or maybe sauces) to keep their temperature up and thus don't need the extra calories and
b) That the majority of reptiles are meat eaters. I have implied that eating humans can cause flatus, but I fear the opposite is true....

Schneewittchen said...

Sleepy - consider yourself spankled