Tuesday 3 July 2007

Flying Beaver

I don't believe this is actually a flying beaver, but it could be because this much better picture shows the real thing and it looks just like the ones that we were seeing continually taking off and landing yesterday when we went for a walk along the dyke.
As if that weren't enough, they're flown by bush pilots. Gotta love this country.
We went to the Flying Beaver pub for supper which actually had a landing.....er...place, mooring, whatever, just outside of the bar.

On t'other hand, whilst having NO shame when talking about beavers, dykes and bush, I keep forgetting that Canadians don't like to call a spade a spade.
On TV, the warning 'may contain...' actually means 'contains' and today I discovered that 'we don't recommend' means 'we won't take you.' Hmmmm..... The problem is, you never know when someone does mean it.
I had a programme that I gave for a four year old's birthday party today. I felt it didn't go very well. The parents of all the children came up afterwards and told me what a great job I'd done. But what does that mean? Seriously, I honestly don't know.

Give me a bloody shovel any day.

A cyclist passed me as I was walking home across the King George's park this evening. He stopped ahead of me and circled back.
'Your husband's a very lucky man,' he said. Ok, so maybe the really creepy people mean it. But perhaps I shouldn't have thought of that guy as creepy. He said what he wanted to say and cycled off.

My son Laurence lost his Permanent Resident's card a while back and he can't get back into the country if he leaves without it.
We applied for a new one. A right bloody kerfuffle that was and no mistake. At the end of last week, an orange coloured letter arrived informing him that he has an appointment in downtown Vancouver tomorrow to pick up his card. Great, so I have to once again drive downtown in the middle of the afternoon and find somewhere to park. My joy knows no bounds. And then no guarantee that we'll get it. Contained in the orange letter - from a government department don't forget - is a spelling mistake and a Catch-22.
Laurence has to bring his driver's licence. Well he can't drive so he doesn't have one. He can't even take a test if he wanted to without his PR card.
I can see this getting stupidly Kafkaesque, unless of course..... no, it's too much to hope that they may not mean it, I mean Sod's law dictates that this is the one time that what they say, however stupid, is what they mean.

We'll see.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time you have to drive downtown, park by my place and take the 22 in.

Gail

Schneewittchen said...

Ta Gail, problem is always the timing, otherwise my other option would be just to take the B-line from Richmond. Whenever I have these appts tho, it seems I have no slack between leaving work and the time of whatever it is I need to be downtown for. :(

Sleepy said...

I'm liking the idea of flying beaver!
Are there any shoots? When's the season? Will I need a permit? More importantly, do I get to eat it?!

LentenStuffe said...

Beaver on wings! Schnee, you just knew what would happen with that phrase.

You sound like you are in need of the invigorating climes and environs of home or, barring that, a visit from S & E.

Schneewittchen said...

Lenten, if Sleepy wants to trap any beaver, flying or otherwise, she'll need to arrive about six weeks early. Pride is the first weekend in August I believe;)
No permits necessary Sleepy as far as I can tell, just a few brunches on the Drive.

Sleepy said...

I'm not really sure what a 'brunch' is to tell the truth.
Can you drink booze?

I do at lunch but not at breakfast (Unless, I'm still going from night before!)so it's confusing.
I can't believe Canadian Beaver is seasonal.
The Canadians I met in Germish lands when I was 17 gave me the impression it was free range and year round.
Have I been mis-informed?

Schneewittchen said...

Hahahahaha, yer a terrible, terrible woman:))
I believe it's year round on the Drive.
I never really got brunch until I came here. I certainly think you CAN drink with it, but when eating out (and eating out on the Drive is the only way to brunch, you pretty well learn to save the drinking until later. Eating out here is doable pretty much whenever you want, add drinks and you easily double the bill.

Sleepy said...

Is there a Red Light district?