Tuesday 10 July 2007

Queer as Volk

'We welcome and support diversity.'
I'm writing a grant application at work at the moment. I have to show that our programs are available to all irrespective of religion, gender, physical ability, age and sexual orientation.
I could cover the rest, although age was a tricky one, difficult to show that programs for Kindergarten kids are available to all irrespective of age, but whatever, no, the impossible one was sexual orientation. Ergo the lame statement, from the heart, but lame. Oh and when I say from the heart, there's some diversity I don't welcome. The badly behaved can bugger off and find another Nature Park.

Oh, and on the subject of intolerance and gay matters, on the website/blog 'Queerty' that Sleepy alerted me to, I was less happy than they to notice that Shannon Doherty is about to annoy us all on the small screen again. I can't help it, I just find myself disliking her. Queerty refers to her as 'the dastardly Ms.D' but we all know that dastardly is a term of endearment. They like her secretly.

I'm horrified to have stumbled upon the Italian for 'a great piece of pussy', I never wanted to know that, and unlike most other new items of vocabulary in whatever target language, natch, this one won't go away, like that annoying song that's stuck in your head, Sleepy got me the other day by mentioning 'all around my hat, I will wear the green willow.'
And FYI (*narrows eyes* and you know who you are) Folk Music is god's way of telling us you can buy earplugs from all good chemists.
Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, Silvio Sodding Berlusconi, what is he on? Describing Mrs. Thatcher as una bella gnocca is bang out of order!
Perish the thought.

Lesbians on last night's Doctor Who btw *you know who you are*. Completely matter-of-fact, but then that's Russell T. Davies for you, it's all part of life.

Did I mention it's frackin' hot? I feel like meat on a barbecue. Sizzling, but not in a good way. The sun creme's not doing it.
And then the lunacy of the lettuce leaf. In the summer, when you're most likely to eat salad, the humble lettuce leaf only lasts a couple of days even in the fridge. In the winter, when you want stomach filling root veggies, your lettuce will last a couple of weeks. What's that about?

That weird thing's going on again.
Sleepy's catching up on one of Kev's and my favourite series, Shameless. But we've run out. I brought back series 1 & 2 on DVD last year. Showcase (by coincidence previously THE showcase for gay TV) have been showing intermittent episodes. But tonight, tonight meine Damen und Herren, they are showing the third series.
Oh yes.
All around my hat I will wear the pink will-ow....

3 comments:

Sleepy said...

I think the guys at Queerty love Shannon in the same way they loved Joan Crawford!
Your common or garden poofter loves a monstrous woman.
I went with ATM to see a showing of "Whatever Happened To Baby Jane", not long after Mommy Dearest was released.
It was chock-a-block with gay men.
Everytime Joan appeared so did a sea of wire coat hangers, to a chorus of "No Mommy! No!"
Brilliant!

LentenStuffe said...

Reminded me of your earlier post of the wan in the car whose child was roaming about while she was doing the bidness.

Berlusconi did not say that, did he? Talk about any storm in a port.

Never heard of 'Shameless'.

Schneewittchen said...

Sleepy - Better than Bollywood but everyone a star.

Lentenstuffe - Prolly not shown in Ireland due to the appearance of the Macguire family. The words 'Irish c*%&' are bandied about a lot.