Friday 17 August 2007

Augenblick

I don't know whether it is because there is so much filming goes on around here, but there is an understanding apparently, that Vancouver is a place where no-one bothers stars as they walk around.
(With apologies to Canadian Karen who makes it her declared mission to bother them.)

Thus it is the most natural thing in the world that directly across the road from us, there is currently a film set , the luminous signs, the trucks, the lights, the lot, and no-one stands around and stares at it.
I was however, intrigued by the huge lights being shone through a window into the building as the light outside started to fade. A filter was being held over the lights, what was it meant to be? Clouds in a sky? Leaves falling? Impossible to know really.
You can't even guarantee you'll see it - whatever 'it' is - on TV. Our friend Steve was in Saskatchewan last year filming a series for CBC, 'The Englishman's Boy', but the screening of it was put off until this autumn and now it's pushed back until March.

At the supermarket checkout I glanced at the mags. Scott Peterson, on death row in San Quentin, California, had shocked everyone by taking drugs and engaging in gay sex.
I can't see this as much of a shocker, I would have thought that the drugs and gay sex were more or less compulsory in prison, possibly even a selling point.
And really, it's quite difficult to come up with anything that shocks after murdering your pregnant wife.

I guffawed and moved on. I get a tiny look, an Augenblick of what goes on with all these pretend people from glancing at the mags at the checkout and judging them based on a one-line headline.

I have another letter published in the local rag.
It was fortuitous, I got so much stick about the mis-spelling of my name in the 'Walk Richmond' pullout, that I needed to have my name spelt correctly on something. Anyway, a man wrote something about one of my pet peeves, so I peevishly responded. That's all, I'll spare you the details.

4 comments:

Sleepy said...

The Drugs and Gay Sex would do it for me!

kdf said...

Details anyone? (tee hee)

Sleepy said...

I had guessed it would be that particular pet peeve!

Schneewittchen said...

Eek!