Saturday 4 August 2007

Truth

The untidy truth.

But what is it, truth I mean? It's one of those things you study in philosophy, is there something out there to which the world we perceive corresponds and thus some absolute or is it pragmatic, whatever we agree it shall be? A bit of both methinks, neither of those theories really satisfies.

I have been thinking about truth. I received what will probably be the final e-mail from Bangladesh, Dawn returns on Monday. I had asked her about the flooding there.

"we get conflicting opinions which appears to be
the norm here. We hear the news reports of 50-60% flooding, but the locals
continue to say a lot of the flooding is normal. I think it may be a conflict
between the city versus rural perspective. Perhaps it is not bad flooding to
the urban dwellers until the flooding hits them? Even between our hosts, they
have differing opinions."

And yet the BBC give us a very clear picture, that must be the truth. Of course I understand that the media distort to suit whatever their party line is, just, surely not the Beeb.

Dawn also makes another interesting observation,

"What is troublesome here is that the flood prediction technology is poor." Why? This is exactly the kind of thing the west could be helping with. It may even be that we know what is going to happen to them and they don't, or is that meteorology is so hit and miss?

The truth for those people is whatever their perception is, whatever affects them.

In the case of the foot and mouth outbreak near Guildford, there seems to be a suggestion that the virus escaped from the Animal Virus Research Institute in Pirbright.
My father used to work there. As kids we were not allowed to go on farms or anywhere near anyone's livestock, and yet of course, there was no way of determining whether we did or not. It was down to your parents' integrity.
And of course, we don't yet know the truth, and I think in this case, there is an actual answer, that virus came to that farm from somewhere.

Pride tomorrow in Vancouver. One year I'd like to go downtown and party with them.

Not this year though. Tomorrow we have plans, and of course, small children.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you won't be able to attend Pride. I went to my first one this summer. STL pride was also geared toward straight people wanting to learn more about gays.

The virus escaping from a farm? I can just see those little gremlins having town hall meetings discussing possibilities of escape and planning their attack!

Sleepy said...

American company making the virus...

Fucking Septics!

Schneewittchen said...

Oh! I thought they were a French company, Merial that is, although the AVRI is a government research facility.

Schneewittchen said...

Huh, now I've looked them up I see they are a company created from a French and an American firm, still, I imagine the employees in the UK who are responsible for somehow letting the virus escape, are British.

It's bizarre, the AVRI whose labs they are presumably using have been operating there for many years without anything like this happening.

Sleepy said...

"They" are trying to make us hate Yanks... Well, those that don't hate them already!!

Hehehehe! You know me and a 'conspiracy theory'!

Schneewittchen said...

Turn to the light side Sleepy Skywalker......