Wednesday 29 August 2007

On Set

An interesting day.
At seven, I opened the Nature House for the set builders to finish off, and indeed, there was a flurry of activity ..... that lasted about three-quarters of an hour. I was discovering the stop-start work pattern that everyone who has spent time on a film set already knows.

The young film-school graduate who was first on set will be the last to leave after midnight tonight, then back when I open up at seven tomorrow. When I left at 16.40 ish, he was still smiling and working hard.

And it was to him that I mentioned the spelling mistake on the side of our pavilion, disguised as an elementary school. You may have to click on the picture to see it properly.

During the morning, I had an errand to do in Steveston. This was when I discovered that sleepy and yet touristy Steveston, doesn't open until 11. I wondered why I was so easily able to find a parking spot. Not too much of a hardship to spend an hour browsing the little shops in this waterfront part of the city however, especially as there is a shop where you can buy imported British food. And by food, I mean chocolate. I had no idea there was now a praline Cadbury's flake. Well, I do now.

When the shop where I was supposed to pick up some out-of-print books finally opened, I asked the shopkeeper whether this was his normal opening time and why there was nothing on the shop front to indicate the hours.
'See, what happened is this,' he started, 'I semi-retired now, so I get lazy, used to open at nine, now I forget sometime.'

Alrighty then.
Dave's Fish and Chips still wasn't open.
The temperature had reached 27º.
When I got back to the Nature House, the set builders had blocked off our kitchen and it was lunch time and we knew there was leftover pizza in the fridge.

Two hours later though, they returned and let us in. We had just liberated some pizza when the young man with the long hours came in and asked us if we wanted to come and get food from their set truck.
The catering company seemed to be called Divine Food or something containing the word Divine, and it was a good description. Never have I seen such ambrosia come from a van that looked as though it could only supply burgers or ice-cream.

The actors arrived. Now, bearing in mind that our friend Steve is an actor, and he is thin, but looks normal, these two looked like some different species of human. Like fairy-folk. Not just thin, but scaled down. They practised saying their lines. One of them seemed to be having a lot of difficulty.
That's all I'll say.

When I was leaving work, suddenly the entire car park was full of vans, trucks, canopies, people, equipment.
Finally, what I went in at seven to start, was about to happen, ten hours later.
Interesting for a day or two.
Just, not quite my cup of tea....well, unless the price were right.

1 comment:

Artemesia said...

You got me curious about Vancouver & British Columbia so I looked it up..

Found out that after New York City and Los Angeles..Vancouver is the largest (3rd) film production city in North America..
A