Thursday 23 August 2007

Venus

Yesterday, Kris and I stood on the bridge watching the frogs in the pond and one jumped and caught a fly.
'I would so love to see one actually on a lily pad,' I said,
'I've never, ever seen that,' said Kris, and I agreed.

Today I left the Nature House to go out to the pond and then, something made me go back for my camera.
Later, when I showed Kris the photo, she thought I'd put a toy one there. I'd have to be a mighty good throw.

Next Wednesday, the crew that were filming 'Aliens in America' at the school opposite our house are coming to the Nature House. As anyone who has travelled to the US knows, everyone who goes there is an alien, so I'm not necessarily expecting sci-fi.

In local news, a man has found his stolen trailer on Craigslist. This must surely count as one of those 'most stupid criminals' things. This trailer was, apparently, custom built, therefore the thieves must have had to mention some pretty specific details in the ad.
And Craigslist is, it seems, the place to look for most things. A work colleague's daughter, has just found a house share through the website, in one of the most desirable areas of Vancouver, for an unbelievable price, and the unbelievable price includes all amenities except telephone and cable.

Last night we watched the film 'Venus'. With a cast of the highest pedigree, Peter O'Toole, Vanessa Redgrave, Richard Griffiths, Leslie Phillips, it posed some interesting questions, like, would you really want to get old in London? and how vile is it to be on the receiving end of the latex glove with the KY jelly? it failed to completely convince.
However debauched O'Toole's character was meant to be, it still seemed unreal that he would actually quite literally slobber over a rather obnoxious young woman with a thick Yorkshire accent.
And however obnoxious she was meant to be, it seemed unreal that she would let him.
Talent there was, and the locations were interesting, as was the fin d'été feel to the film, but it just failed to hit the spot for me.

1 comment:

Sleepy said...

That's a bummer.
I SO wanted that film to be good.