Friday 14 November 2008

Frenchies

All quiet on the western front today. Not a twig stirring. But it was colder and there was a flurry of fluffy little birds, chickadees, juncos, a downy woodpecker, kinglets and brown creepers, right outside our office window. Very distracting.

Would it be impossible for someone to make a cough syrup that didn't taste like the end of days? It's how I imagine DDT would taste.

I was reading an article about Hillary (genuflect) and it referred to 'the Clinton brand'. I LOVE that! SO pretentious! I must start to think about 'the Schneewittchen brand'. Not sure it carries the same clout somehow.

I feel that there's a difference between the way the English hate the French and the way Canadians do. The English hate them in the way that teenage white boys hate Pakistanis - they say they do, but not their own friends, no, their own friends, of whom at least a quarter are generally Pakistani, they would defend to the hilt, with fists if necessary.

There's a lot about the French that pisses the English off, and vice versa I'm sure, and we`re rather vocal about it, but it's mostly talk. If push came to shove, we'd most likely go in and defend them all over again, and we go there, exchange a few bon mots, eat their food and drink gallons upon gallons of their wine, and we all have friends who are French and...the opposite of friends.

For a lot of Canadians however, the reverse seems to be true. They will initially pay lip service to tolerating the French, but scratch the surface, and there's a seething mass of rancour and venom against them.
You mark my words, no good will come of it.
The French on the other hand, the ones who actually live in France, handed over a goodly swathe of their own land to Canada, as a thank-you for Vimy Ridge. And maybe some of it stems from there, for it was mainly the non-French settlers in Canada who went back to Europe to fight in both World Wars. And got killed.

I like the twilight, like this time of year of early darkness. I like to be walking home as the night is closing in.

'Every cat in the twilight's grey, every possible cat.'
Purrfect.

9 comments:

Sleepy said...

Cheese eating surrender monkeys.
Nuff said.

Sleepy said...

A homemade cough mixture...

3 tbs Dry Thyme
1 Pint of Boiling Water
Let cool and add 240ml of Honey

Take 1tsp every hour as needed.
Can be stored in the fridge for three months.

Kateryna said...

That is alot of Thyme?
I think I would feel like a Christmas turkey if I took in that much savory herb.

I love the hot honey and lemon tho...oh and possibly a shot of flavored rum wouldn't hurt. :)

oh. I almost forgot. What about the 'wittchen'brand. It rhymes with......?
An American slang term that denotes coolness. Perhaps unless I am so old they don't use it anymore in which case I appologize in advance.

Kateryna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Schneewittchen said...

Sleepy - I`ve been our and bought some honey just for the recipe. Thyme we had - sort of, it`s ground up thyme, guess that`s ok.

Kat - I`m liking the idea of adding some alcohol - maybe some whisky - although we do have rum around right now, since we've started on the eggnog early this year.
Oh, and the 'wittchen brand - I didn't think of that, now THAT has some serious sass.
And I did spot the similarities between the two pics, but yours was so much better, I thought that like Brer Rabbit, I'd lay low and say nuffin' :)

Schneewittchen said...

Oh my goodness.... it really does smell quite turkeylicious....still, what better to follow the eggnog...must stop humming 'Jingle Bells'...

Sleepy said...

Did it work or help?

Schneewittchen said...

Not sure. I didn't take it as often as you recommended because it did taste like taking spoonfuls of Paxo, but then that made me up the honey, which probably helps as well. My cough does seem lessened this morning, but then Saturday is the day when I don't have to talk so much because of no work and no church play.
I'll give it a couple more days and see.

Kateryna said...

Oh my goodness.... it really does smell quite turkeylicious....still, what better to follow the eggnog...must stop humming 'Jingle Bells'...

@ lol @ Brair Rabbit too!

Your tickling my funnybone today.


Eggnog! What an egg-cellent idea!