Thursday 10 March 2011

Driving Rain

It was a dark and stormy night, and the Captain said to the Mate, 'give us a tale,' she said and the tale she told was this, 'it was a dark and stormy night....,'

Well, cor blimey, love-a-duck, there has been an awful lot of weather about today. And as well as weather, there has been a fair amount of things-not-going-according-to-plan.
The plan was this.
Cross the border and get the old visa waiver renewed, since today was the day it ran out. What could possibly go wrong? The guard screwed up his eyes and said, 'I wouldn't go in there, it's up to you of course, but it's all backed up and we're short staffed,'then he sort of squinted sideways at Whisky, who was making a lot of very irritating noise in the back.
'Ok,' I said, and drove off to the Static, promising to come back tonight, and lo, I did.

It was a constant bloody battle to keep the car going in a straight line, it was so blustery, and the sky was full of birds, just playing at being birds buffeted by the wind and enjoying every minute of it.

I went to the first of three supermarkets and slipped in the mud.

Back at the Static, I took Whisky for a walk, and we were almost knocked off our feet by a loud bang that sounded like gunfire. A man popped out of his RV and asked me what it was.
'Dunno, trailer just pulled away, maybe it was a backfire,' said I, and he seemed willing to take my word for it, although I didn't really know.
Another man pulled up in his truck and asked me what the noise had been. I repeated my theory.
'Oh, thought so,' he said, not looking at all like someone who thought a vehicle had just backfired.

I'll have to get my visa waiver tomorrow. At least if they let me back in, we'll have plenty of food.

No comments: