Thursday 2 November 2006

All Souls

Yes, I know All Souls was yesterday, but I have a reason for remembering it today.

Hats off to the US for both prosecuting and jailing a man for the mutilation of his daughter. This is a disgusting and spiteful hate crime against women made worse by its perpetration in the name of religion. How can you possibly think your God has fouled up in the actual design of his/her creation and that you can better it?
Personally I think that if he is only being incarcerated for this crime, he has gotten off lightly. Ooh, unless it's true what they say about the treatment meted out to child molesters in prison in which case he could be on the receiving end of some genital mutilation. Booyah.

The reason I am remembering All Souls today is that it is the anniversary of my own father's death five years ago. It's difficult to forget my parents and it's difficult to even want to. My dad was a good father and proud of having two daughters, which makes it all the more difficult to comprehend a father like the one I just talked about. I think my dad has stayed around longer than my mum too. I'm not sure exactly what keeps them here, or makes them visit, but I suspect that the need of those of us who still inhabit this plane is part of it. For the majority of the time now I can go along not giving it much thought and then all of a sudden, though far less frequently than before, as though a trap were sprung I can fall into a claustrophobic hole of despair at the thought that I can't reach them.

I'll have a wee dram with him tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So is your sense of despair because you are thinking of them when they are not visiting?

I ask this because I feel warm and unalone whenever I have a sense of someone I knew who has passed on.

I find your posts are always thought-provoking, this one particularly. Thanks.

Schneewittchen said...

Yes, that's exactly it Nigel, it's like sometimes I catch myself unawares and I will think, 'Oh, my mum will laugh at that,' then I realise that although I'll tell her, I won't hear her voice.