Friday 17 November 2006

Chocolate, Orange

Mandarins are the small orange of choice here, I guess that makes sense, mandarins would seem to come from China and we are much closer to China than we are to Spain.
In the period that leads up to Christmas in the UK though, we are seduced by the Satsuma and the Clementine.
Of course I have been trying to work out whether there is in fact any difference between the Mandarin and the Satsuma and maybe the Sat has that slightly thicker skin that almost peels itself, but I can't be sure. Superstore have kindly given me a free box of Mandarins though, so I have plenty of purely scientific consumer research ahead of me.

Chocolate on t'other hand, I have been researching assiduously since I got here. And I am not so unhappy with the provision anymore. We can buy plenty of Côte d'Or and Lindt choccie at reasonable prices, and Superstore, whose task it is to please moi, have recently been trying their hand at their own 'President's Choice' brand. And I must say they are doing quite well. The pretend Ferrero Rocher got a thumbs down, but the ersatz Toblerone is not bad at all, likewise their fruit and nut. All good. Yesterday, just for my delectation (why else?) they had 1 Kilo bars of Cadbury's Dairy Milk IMPORTED. Yes, there is a difference, quite seriously there is a difference in taste between the Cadbury's they make in Toronto and the Cadbury's they make at...well.... Cadbury's.

Put the two together and of course you get a Terry's Chocolate Orange. Now I feel that the TCO follows the same rule as Sleepy's thoughts on brollies. Somehow you never actually buy them, but at times of celebration there are always plenty around, and in the lead up to Christmas you are almost swimming in them. And Terry's of York do make exceedingly good chocolate. Rather like Mr. Kipling and his cakes.
We do have TCO's here, though I haven't yet done the necessary research on them, but in the interests of science, I will.
I haven't yet seen any but the milk chocolate ones, nor have I seen the bars, but I'm sure they must be around somewhere ...... just a question of finding where Kevin has hidden them...
Just kidding,
'They're not Terry's, they're mine.' Ah yes, I think Dawn French already said that.

2 comments:

Sleepy said...

I think this is just me.... But Chocolate that tastes of orange is wrong. Very wrong.
Mint is ok, as long as it is in the form of After Eights.

Schneewittchen said...

Well Laurence certainly shares your opinion. The one I think is wrong, just wrong is white chocolate with mint.