Monday 27 November 2006

Beds and Nosh

I guarantee you that Liz Hurley is trying to buy Battersea Power Station. How do I know this?
My sister told me about a recent article in their local rag that started with a full page picture of Liz Hurley wearing red leather, progressed to a detailed description of a local almost million pound house that was for sale, and ended with the presumption that Liz had almost bought said house, based on the sighting of a helicopter hovering over it.
Well just before my train reached Waterloo, I saw a helicopter hovering over Battersea Power Station, so....

Beds. When I moved over to Canada, or in fact sometime before that, we needed to buy a bed, we'd had a futon, a good one, but it was getting a bit past its sell-by date.
We started out by looking in some well-known bed shops, this was before I had surrendered to the inevitable and seductive truth that Ikea is all anyone needs in the way of home furnishings.
Now the divan set seemed to be the way to go in many of these shops, but I prefer a slatted base. I asked. They showed me several in fact - all of which then had a complete divan set perched on top of them. I'm serious. Slats, then divan base, then mattress. Bizarre beyond compare. Before I went into sarcasm overdrive, Kevin ushered me out of the store and round the corner to a Danish furniture store where we found our ideal bedframe. Sorted.

When travelling of course, you get to sleep in many bed situations. I am very fond of the low-down to the floor kind of bed, and I seriously dislike the higher style of bed. One bed I look forward to is at Austen and Sue's, they have a more traditional style of futon for guests, very plain, basic, wooden slats and not too thick a futon. And I love it.

Nosh. Before I left, someone said to me,
'Oh, I think the food's better over there.' I was quite taken aback. I've thought for a long time that Canadian food is good, both home-cooked and restaurant, well apart from the Chinese and Indian which are miles better over here. And the idea that British food is good...that's a new one.
Except that I had to readily admit that we can get bloody good ready meals from Sainsburys, Waitrose and M&S, often as good as restaurant food. And Austen and my sister are both really good cooks.
So I guess it's just me then, the last remaining Brit flying the flag of inept cuisine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, I'm good. Shielding you from the hidden secret. We're looking for breeding stock for future hockey players. The futon is just a cover. We slip in just enough confusion to make you stay.

Sleepy said...

What is the Canadian national dish?
Don't say maple leaves or syrup!

Schneewittchen said...

Hmm..someone asked me this last night, and I had to say that I think you'd have to have a different one for each Province or Territory. For the Quebecois it must be poutine, a disgusting concoction of chips, curds and gravy. For us poncy west-coasters it'd have to be something with salmon. We do have exceedingly good salmon there.

Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_dish

Scroll down and you'll see various provincial dishes listed. When I was in French Immersion, we learned that tourtiere was the ultimate Quebecois dish.

Ross tried to teach our Scottish niece last year how to say "I would like a deep-fried Mars Bar, please." My Scottish sister-in-law says Ross is the only person she's ever seen eat a deep-fried Mars Bar.

Schneewittchen said...

Ooh yes, I'd forgotten the tourtiere, I think I even ate it once.
Well, I saw Nigella Lawson eating deep fried mars bars on TV once, but it is one of those mysteries, try to find someone who has actually eaten one, and you can't, yet they still sell 'em. Bizarre, and also disgusting.
Thanks for the link.