Wednesday 20 February 2008

Lunar Eclipse

We are expecting a lunar eclipse tonight, it is however, quite overcast, I'm not sure that we'll be able to see the moon by the time it gets dark. It's 18.02 and still twilight. Apparently we are now in a time of accelerated lengthening of the days.

One of my colleagues was saying at lunchtime that fun should be one of the values of a workplace. I disagreed. I have removed it as a learning objective from all of the school programmes. I hope that the kids will have fun while they are with us learning, but I don't feel it is something we should have as an explicit objective.

The idea of having fun at work is rather odd. I enjoy my work, but if I suddenly found myself having fun, I'd probably not be working, I'd be skiving off to Cypress or Grouse Mountain or some other place of...well, fun.
The point about fun surely is that it's something you do when you're not working, otherwise wouldn't fun become less fun?
As we talked it over, I suggested to my friend that maybe what he was talking about was enjoyment or job satisfaction and he agreed.

On TV this morning, various people were whingeing and whining about the carbon tax. The basis of the squinnying was that something should be done about protecting the environment, but it shouldn't have to involve them. You see why government have to be firm, because more people than you'd like, are fundamentally stupid and behave like children.

Madge Allsop, Dame Edna Everage's bridesmaid, has died at the age of 100. The amazing thing is that she started this new career at the age of 80. I wonder if the telegram from the Queen has been replaced by an e-mail. I think I may have wondered that before.
I also wonder if Canadians and Aussies get telegrams from the Queen, they should do, she's their queen too.

So the mysterious and yet evil creature known as woman, continues to keep everyone bamboozled. The Italians, based on an extensive sample of 20 women, have determined that they can find the elusive G-spot on ultra-sound.
Not so, say the Brits, what they have found is simply an extension of the clitoris into the vagina.
To some extent, it's always a good thing that research is being done on anything to do with women. And yet, this has become something of a holy grail. So long as the reason is for our good, then all is well. But if it's just another thing to beat us up over, or for us to beat ourselves or each other with, then not so good.
I'm certainly in favour of science for its own sake, but I'm also distrustful. We're currently being reminded on an almost daily basis at the moment, how misogynistic the world can be.

Tonight I'm going to listen to a talk, 'Jesus and Us : A Jewish, Christian and Muslim Perspective.'
Sounds interesting.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Working at Ikea.
fun.
- Karen

Schneewittchen said...

See this is what I mean Karen, if I worked at Ikea I believe Ikea would no longer be fun. So that's why I've never tried to get a job there, even though I would be their best employee EVER.

Schneewittchen said...

In fact, I'd even learn Swedish, but then I wouldn't be able to go there to play. Hmmm...I would love it though. But the fun element, nopers.

Sleepy said...

I agree Schnee, seeing how it all 'worked' would ruin the magic that is Ikea!

Exam Invigilation is work but standing behind 'Child Most Likely...' is fun!

Christians, Muslims and Jews...
Have just finished a book called The Thirteenth Apostle by Michel Benoit.
It's fiction, written by an ex-monk but really interesting.
It also links the 3 religions.

Schneewittchen said...

Ooh yes, evil fun, a whole new category that I hadn't considered :)

Anonymous said...

In my masters classes, we were introduced to Glasser's Control Theory. It applies directly to what we try to do in our alternative education programs. Of the five needs to be satisfied, I struggle most with "Fun" and "Power" components. Although it's not my first nature to provide opportunities for fun in the classroom, I do surprise myself and the students once in awhile (had an impromptu mini-marshmallow tossing contest a month ago). And, it's just plain tough to give up power, but I'm working on it...I empowering students to take control of their own learning--they choose their courses, their modes of learning, their assessments, etc.

http://wik.ed.uiuc.edu/index.php/Control_theory

Dawn

Schneewittchen said...

That's interesting Dawn, I've looked at the article. Do you think his theories are valid?

Schneewittchen said...

Oh, oh, oh, it was on the tip of my tongue (fingers) but I couldn't think of the name, Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, it sounds a bit like that. (Glasser's theory that is).