Tuesday 19 February 2008

Mine-Sweeper

Yeah. You see my lad. I see the algae that has grown over the winter.

Today we had a Provincial budget and the big buzz was that it was going to be a green budget and lo, it is.
Ok, so we're about thirty years behind Germany, but we've started.
I'm fecking proud.
I'm particularly proud because this time, the government has stood firm. And that's their bloody job. I'd like to say that government isn't a popularity contest, but sadly that isn't the case, especially in North America.

I do so love the idea of the 'frog from hell' that has been found in fossilised form in Madagascar. He looks a bit like former Labour Premier Harold Wilson. A great man.

I went into work today, Ibuprofened up and sweating and aching, but I made it through the programmes then came home.
One day at home and I'm re-hooked on Ellen. Didn't last long though. Today she had the annoying Italian TV chef on that I don't like.

So things stir around the world, Kosovo gains independence, that'll be interesting to watch as it finds it can't sustain itself. In reality I don't have any opinion on it, it happened when I wasn't watching, but you know, when you're at school you get taught about JK Galbraith economics and how bigger is more stable and you think egh...we'll see.
Castro quits - on the one hand, that just makes him a quitter, Bush never gave up just because of mental illness. On the other hand, 'tis about bloody time. You've got to know what your sell-by date is, otherwise you cease being a legend and become a dead-weight.
Pakistan practises democracy. Good, good. That's what we like from people we play cricket with.

My vicar is wanting to start a book group. It hasn't really ever occurred to me to join such a thing because it involves reading books that other people want me to, ie not sci-fi. But...I am rather intrigued to find out more about these people. There don't seem to be any happy-clappies at the church, although there are some unusual hand movements that go on during the Lord's Prayer sometimes.
I don't watch anymore.
I wonder if the putative book group is a hand-picked enclave of subversive feminists - this I would like. At the very least I don't think I'd need to be on my best behaviour. I've warned them about this.
Had the vicar thought of this idea in September I'd have sent my mine-sweeper Sleepy along to check out how much subversion and bad behaviour they could take.

2 comments:

Sleepy said...

OOOOH! I would have liked that!

Schneewittchen said...

Haha, welcome back!